Nervous about my incoming Avic Versi

Blaze

Arachnopeon
so i just ordered a package from Jamie's website, that comes with an Avic verso sling, about 1 inch, and a starter arboreal enclosure. I'm really nervous because I've heard many people had bad luck when trying to raise verso slings to adults. any tips? anything i should be nervous about?

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Good ventilation is key. Also don't over mist. I do it about once a week, sometimes twice a week if it dries out faster. Jamie's sling enclosures work good. I've had 5 different Avic species that I've kept as slings and kept them all in Jamie's enclosures and haven't lost any of them.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Ordering from Jamie was a good first step, and reading her info link above is an awesome 2nd! You'll be fine, just make sure you have good ventilation, and try to keep them a little humid.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
oh ok, yeah i read up on it. one more question is the temperament of avic versis. how are they when it comes to handling. i work at a kindergarten so would this be a good T to bring out for show and tell?

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't take it out with kids. My slings and my sub adult female are all very fast and skittish. They like to jump too. And if you take out a sling to handle you might lose it or have it run up your arm and down your back. Chances are you're gonna scare the kids more than fascinate them with a fast moving spider.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...and they rub urticating hairs off their underside.
Not good for kids to handle imo.
I love A. versicolour.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I think one thing everyone should have when doing anything is confidence in themselves. At some point no matter how many care sheets you read, how many videos you watch, or how many books/articles/threads you read through you're going to have to take that first step at some point and it's best to not make that step wobbly and nervous. You guys are letting a creature that can't even have thoughts (debatable) give you panic attacks and often times you don't even have the thing yet. I'm not standing on a pedestal here, before July of this year I hadn't ever kept anything that required humidity and it intimidated me. I've been in this hobby a few days past 3 months but I'm going to share some good knowledge here. Older members feel free to add to or correct me.

1) Tarantulas are not like any pet you've ever kept before and you will be better off not treating them the same (try to avoid giving them anthromorphic qualities). They are very basic yet also complex creatures that have been around in some shape or form since about the Triassic period.
2) Learn the scientific names
3) Care sheets are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
4) Tarantulas are much hardier than you give them credit for and will take a little bit of abuse. Heat and humidity are guidelines for the most part
5) You need to do some searching (as much as some of you hate this). This site has roughly a decades worth of threads so it has probably been answered before.
6) There are things that Arachnoboards will not teach you. You need to work with tarantulas yourself and find other sources besides the boards. Read as much as you can and try and find people in your area who have been keeping for awhile to talk to them.
7) Do not get discouraged by a death! This applies especially for slings.

-From a noob to noobs.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
i'm not letting the kids handle it. just thought it'd be a cool "class pet." if worst comes to worst, ill just bring my rosie or smithi

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
For a class pet, the G.rosea gets my vote. Amoeba is dead on, research is golden, but everyone needs that experience.