New here and excited!

littleangel7700

Arachnopeon
Hi! I'm new to the boards, and I'm excited because I just got my 1st T yesterday! She's a gorgeous B. smithi, about 4" DLS or so. I have pics of her in my gallery. (Haven't settled on a name for her yet.) And I will be getting my 2nd T, a male G. pulchra, this week (actually set to arrive Wednesday). I'll post pics of him too. I've been working with herps for nearly 10 years now, but arachnids have always facinated me too, and now I've finally taken the plunge into owning T's. Oh, happy day! :biggrin:

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby. This board is a great place and full of information.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
Nice looks like you got bit (figuratively) and what a good start too, B.Smithis are awesome! I wish you the best of luck!

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For just getting your first T, you already seem to walk the walk and talk to the talk, I'm sure you will have a good time here, enjoy your stay, and keep all 8 hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats and welcome to the hobby and forum...

My only advice that I can give you right now is to add more substrate to your smithi's enclosure. I would fill that enclosure up atleast half way. This will avoid her falling and hurting herself. Also, I cant tell if you are misting certain areas of her substrate or if its just drying out. But, if you are misting, you dont have to. B. smithis like it bone dry. Just keep the water dish you have in there full and clean and thats all the water source she will need.

Again, congrats, and welcome.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
By the way, why are you getting a "male" tarantula when you don't have a female of the same species? Just curious...

Transient

Arachnosquire
Hi! I have three G. pulchra arriving on Wednesday too, along with two other terrestrials. Good luck with your babies!

By the way, why are you getting a "male" tarantula when you don't have a female of the same species? Just curious...
Boys need love, too...

littleangel7700

Arachnopeon
@Redneck: The substrate's wet because I accidentally got a little...well, okay, a LOT...messy when I was filling her bowl. Oops! But I will take your advice and add more substrate to her tank.
@Najakeeper: I'm getting a male because I really wanted a G. pulchra that was older than a sling, and the male was the first I came across, and at a good price. He's not quite mature yet, so I'm still considering finding him a special lady, or maybe doing 50/50 or something. Or he may just end up being a pet. We'll see. I haven't made any hard and fast decisions yet.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! I'm sure I'll wind up bugging you all with goofy, new T q's. (Sorry in advance!)