Extinct tarantulas in the wild

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard that the P. Metallica will eventually go extinct in the wild. I'm sure there are others heading in the same direction and I'm wondering which ones? And are there any extinct in the wild already?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
was that a real question lol? theres probably dozens if not more that havent even been discovered yet. let alone that have already went extinct. let alone ones that are cross bred. i dont think humans are solely responsible for hybrid ts... id imagine they do it in the wild as well, just maybe less frequent?

pipsiugbo

Arachnopeon
I think the point of the question is, are there any species that we have available in the hobby still that are extinct in the wild? And even if that wasn't the question originally, consider this a thread-jack, and I'm asking the questions now. ;)

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Probably one of the best sources (non-academic, non-governmental) for information like this is the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and their well respected Red List of Threatened and Endangered Species.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/

While nowhere near complete, it's about as good as you can readily find. It also carries no small amount of weight with lawmakers in many countries.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
was that a real question lol? theres probably dozens if not more that havent even been discovered yet. let alone that have already went extinct. let alone ones that are cross bred. i dont think humans are solely responsible for hybrid ts... id imagine they do it in the wild as well, just maybe less frequent?
Yes, it was a real question. Maybe it could've been worded better.

pipsiugbo rephrased it just right. Thank you.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no i understood just fine i just have a crappy sense of humor sorry if i offended. i think its actually pretty valid. i too recently read that the P. metallica is close to extinct in the wild as well as other poeci's ... i will try to find the link and post it

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
And are there any extinct in the wild already?
The Jamaican species Cyrtopholis jamaicola (Strand, 1908), and any other species from Jamaica if there are any, is thought to be extinct in it's natural habitat due to the introduction of the mongoose. The only reference I could find to this is from Rick West in a chat transcript at the old PetBugs.com site. I've tried, albeit not that hard, to try and find more concrete evidence such as published spider surveys of Jamaica or published articles on such specifically to no avail. I would consider this information hypothetical at best. Besides, species thought to be extinct sometimes are rediscovered.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Besides, species thought to be extinct sometimes are rediscovered.
I agree, extinct animals are only extinct until they are found again. Not that I would expect to see a T. rex walk down my block, but its not uncommon to hear of a animal that hasn't been seen in 50-100 years re-appear.

Later, Tom