Euathlus sp Red doing odd burrowing

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
So I am up to 7 tarantulas now. I have seen many of them redistribute substrate and dig pits, but never truly burrow. Last week I got a Euathlus sp red and it has built a true burrow and I am a bit worried (probably because of inexperience). I have tried not to jostle the tank as I have heard this can collapse the burrow.

What worries me is when I get a good look at her burrow it seems she has no way to get back to the surface. One end is the underground part and the other end opens into a space underneath her cork bark hide. I tell myself that spiders have been burrowing for millions of years without human assistance and so she probably knows how to do it well. Should I just settle down and let her be?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiders have been burrowing for millions of years without human assistance. ;)

On top of that, if it can get down there, it can get right back out. Nothing to worry about.

jb62

Arachnosquire
My E sp red does this ... mind she has been gravid for over 14 months!..
And don't eat that much.. :-/
But finding info on these is hard so if she keep with not eating she will die :-(

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
My E sp. red (had it about 4.5mths now has dug a little but not burrowed, eats off and on to the point of worrying me (been about 6wks now since it last ate but it looks fine and healthy). It has a half plant pot hide and varies from sitting in there to mooching around in no hurry with itself other than when the lid is off and there's a chance to climb out. I'd feel happier with it if it either molted or decided to eat, but I'll just keep waiting. At least when my B.albopilosum stopped eating for over a month it just buried itself into its cave and eventually put on a new set of clothes.

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
I'm just a worried mother hen. My euathlus red comes back to the surface and burrows down again as she pleases. One day, one of my T's will do something I've never seen before and maybe, just maybe, I will assume it knows what it's doing and just not worry myself. So far this has not been the case though. :p