My first Ts arrived!

Transient

Arachnosquire
I ordered three G. pulchra slings and a B. albopilosum sling from Patrick86, who graciously made the albo a freebie, and said he'd throw another sling in for no charge. But when I opened my box... three freebies!

x3 G. pulchra
x2 B. albopilosum
x1 B. vagans

Unfortunately, the B. vagans is either DOA or molting. I though I saw small movement but it's so tiny, it's hard to tell. I put it in its own little bottle anyway and if it starts to rot, well. I'll have an answer haha. Fingers crossed, though.

While that is sad, one of the G. pulchra molted in transit, but is lively as ever. The others are also in pre-molt, and one refused to remove itself from my finger and it took thee minutes of gentle nudging to get it to go into its cup. Both albos are feisty and fast, and tried to disappear into my shirt. All-in-all a good experience.

I'll have photos up in a short bit!

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a great variety for your first spiders! :D Patrick is the bestest. :)

Congrats!

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
Awesome! Can't wait to see the photos! :D To bad about the B. vagans though. And for some reason I find the thought of two tarantulas crawling into your shirt strangely amusing.

Transient

Arachnosquire
They're fast little suckers! The G. pulchras just ambled along slowly like they do adults.

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Wow, brave. All those little slings for your first time.

I bought my first GBB sling yesterday and im already nervous with one.

Transient

Arachnosquire
Yeah, but I figured I'm neurotic enough to keep them all alive. I hope I don't deform my face, for all the time I'm going to spend keeping my face pressed to the glass of the hot tank.

Update: I sniffed the B. vagans vial and... whoa. That is a powerful smell for such a tiny spider. The other ones don't really smell like anything, but this is a sickly sweet, rotten odor. Kinda like a dead rat. I'm going to assume it's gone... poor little guy/gal.

Last edited:

Transient

Arachnosquire
Pictures part 1

Peanuts and vials!
2011-10-26 09.56.12.jpg

The poor little B. vagans :c
2011-10-26 10.05.54.jpg

Lookit that butt! (G. pulchra #1)
2011-10-26 10.08.38.jpg

B. albo #1 before it decided to haul butt up my arm.
2011-10-26 10.10.05.jpg

G. pulchra #2, with molt!
2011-10-26 10.11.59.jpg

Transient

Arachnosquire
Pictures part 2

G. pulchra #2, stretched out
2011-10-26 10.36.21.jpg

B. albo #2
2011-10-26 10.15.04.jpg

G. pulchra #3, who loved my finger
2011-10-26 10.17.46.jpg

And again, G. pulchra #1... One hour after placing him in his deli cup.
2011-10-26 12.33.58.jpg

Is that a normal molt position? He's leaning over, and when I took the photo his legs were wiggling slightly. I checked on him again and he's still leaning over but not wiggling, but when I gently brushed the tips of his feet he stretched the legs that are in the air out and curled them back in. Being a new T mom, I am super paranoid and am afraid to mess with him, and with slings so small I can't really tell if it's a death curl or just a weird molt spot/pose.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
It looks like a molt and only partially over because of the incline of the substrate. It is wise to never disturb and especially do not touch it when in this position. Slings molt fairly quickly (though I do not know exactly how fast) and I would think that if after a few hours if it is still not finished to maybe, and thats a BIG MAYBE, try to very gently get it more level onto its back. But it'll probably do fine anyhow. Do Not Disturb. Oh crap my pessimistic side just kicked in. Or maybe its death curl position is inclined because of the hole it is in. Sorry, only time will tell.

Transient

Arachnosquire
It hasn't moved, and I haven't touched it since it wiggled. I'm buying clear containers so I can stare at them without having to pull lids on and off...

PLEASE BE MOLTING, TINY MAGICAL BEING :C

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man lookin at these photos reminds me of when i got all my lil guys... the curly hairs will be about the size of a silver dollar or bigger in 6 months if theyre anything like mine. the g pulchras will only be slightly bigger lol....kinda frustrating but whaddaya do? nice ts , and sorry bout the dead one

Transient

Arachnosquire
It's been about 20-21 hours and it hasn't moved. There's an odd chemical smell in the container, not present in the others. It doesn't quite smell like the rotting B. vagans though. Although in this amount of time it doesn't really matter, I'm 99% sure it's dead. :c

Edit - I moved it to level substrate and where it was leaned over its legs are all mashed against it. The bottom of its abdomen was flat. Only four slings now :(

Last edited: