Fruit fly culture appears to have mold in it, safe for spiderling?

emilybee222

Arachnopeon
My fruit fly culture has mold growing in the bottom of the media... is it safe to continue feeding these flies to my spiderling?

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes if it is a wetter mix and/or if a lot of the flies have died off they will grow some mold. Depending on where you got your colony it should have a mold inhibitor in it. When I see it in my feeder colonies I just knock the flies into a cup and stir the media. The mold inhibitor does the rest. Some colonies grow little spots where flies died/got stuck in the media. I don't worry about those. I grow A LOT of flies. I have never had any issues feeding flies to a spiderling, even colonies that grew a little mold. I hope this helps :)

emilybee222

Arachnopeon
Haha I actually got my fly colony from you online :) There seems to be a lot of mold in the media and it is more dried out than wet.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is weird. The media I use contains a mold inhibitor. I don't ever get mold in mine except what is described above. Send me a picture, I am happy to help you figure this out :)

emilybee222

Arachnopeon
The white between the cracks of the dried media is the mold. Also, I've noticed some of the flies have big white bellies. Would this be from them eating the mold or are they just ready to lay eggs?

Attachments