OW Arboreal Dwarves?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are there any OW arboreal dwarves? Or any around the 3-4" size? Still helping my girlfriend with her project and that's all we like.

Thanks.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Are there any OW arboreal dwarves? Or any around the 3-4" size? Still helping my girlfriend with her project and that's all we like.

Thanks.
I am not sure. I would ask Zoltan, I believe baboons are his favorite.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Honestly the only (so called) dwarf arboreals that even come to mind would be either the A. minatrix or maybe the Pachistopelma genus, maybe some of the Tap genus too?? None of those are OW though. Not to be a buzzkill but idk of you're gonna be able to find any.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Honestly the only (so called) dwarf arboreals that even come to mind would be either the A. minatrix or maybe the Pachistopelma genus, maybe some of the Tap genus too?? None of those are OW though. Not to be a buzzkill but idk of you're gonna be able to find any.
A. minatrix are not dwarfs, neither are Taps....

Edit* The only OW dwarf that is coming to mind for me right now, is Heterothele gabonensis...but it's not arboreal.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
All I need is a small OW arboreal that only gets 3-4".... Or even a semi-arboreal.
Whoops. I misread your post. I thought you meant just African species for some reason. It's not a "dwarf" but I would look into Orphnaecus sp. "blue"/"Panay". I don't believe they get too big but I can't give you exact sizes. I'll do some more digging. :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Edit* The only OW dwarf that is coming to mind for me right now, is Heterothele gabonensis...but it's not arboreal.
According to the collector that introduced H. gabonensis to the hobby, all of the one's he found were living an arboreal lifstyle. See this. Although Im sure they would adapt to any sort of set up in captivity.

So to answer the OP original question, my quess is H. gabonensis is the smallest old world arboreal tarantula in the hobby.

Later, Tom

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
According to the collector that introduced H. gabonensis to the hobby, all of the one's he found were living an arboreal lifstyle. See this. Although Im sure they would adapt to any sort of set up in captivity.

So to answer the OP original question, my quess is H. gabonensis is the smallest old world arboreal tarantula in the hobby.

Later, Tom
Very cool, thanks Tom. :) I was unaware of that. The only ones I've seen in person, were kept more in a terrestrial set up, but definitely didn't strike me as actually terrestrial.

H. gabonensis would be my suggestion.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure about the common name, but you could call it Gabon Dwarf, central african dwarf...

You can also keep them communally, but they are just tolerant of each other. At abraxascomplex place he has some nice communal arboreal setups.