GBB vs. P.irminia?

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Just looking for opinions. Kind of like a poll. Straight forward. Pick which one you like better.

Before posting, remember this....I like both arboreals and terrestrials, and love both species. Im also growing up some for breeding purposes, so which is better/easier/more rewardable?

Stephen

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
I just got my GBB yesterday, 2.5". I love it's appetite already! Can't comment on P.irminia, haven't acquired one yet.

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
Got both as slings at the moment. Looks wise there's not a great lot in it, both are good looking slings. The GBB seems so far to be a better feeder but having said that the P.irminia has just molted in the last couple of days so wasn't eating much before that.

As adults I've noted everyones comments about the P.irminia being way more reclusive than GBB's tend to be. Adult looks is down to what you like - both are striking with the GBB maybe having the edge, but I'm a red-on-black kinda guy so I'm really looking forward to the P.irminia getting bigger.

Naturally since this place is enablers central, I'll say why bother debating and just buy both :D

Ingar

Arachnopeon
I just got my GBB yesterday, 2.5". I love it's appetite already! Can't comment on P.irminia, haven't acquired one yet.
I had AF P. irminia - and I can say that appetite of her was greater that my GBB AF.. Even now my GBB is non active - eats less than I could imagine - looks like in some diapause or somewhat.. But they are both interesting species with great outfit - so it's hard to compare..

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
GBB appearance looks better but the irminia is no slouch in the looks department, especially as adults. My personal preference would be the irminia. Mine have been mean since about 2", not hesitating to throw up a threat posture. Still love em though. Both species are great to have. Stew is totally right though two completely different spiders.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I like both but I'd go with GBB. P irminia hides a lot. Both are beatiful. I think P irmina would be easier to breed though, as GBBs are known to be aggresive toward the males.

Ryancw93

Arachnopeon
Well, if you want a black/orange T that doesn't web all that much and is quite defensive then get a P. Irminia. If you want an entire webbed enclosure with a GBB sitting in the center of it and will eat anything you throw at it, go for a GBB. I do prefer a GBB though. Nothing says spider like a webbed fortress with a blue spider sitting in the center of it. Lol.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a GBB sling who just molted to about 1.25". Already webbed his little enclosure and flicked hairs a few times. Not shy at all.

My P. irminia is a gorgeous adult, when I see her. She was out in the day yesterday. She is lightening fast. She is also reclusive as someone said above but I love to watch her when she does come out.

0siris

Arachnosquire
I really love my C.cyaneopubescens sling. It molted once in my care and webs it's enclosure constantly. It's only about 1.25 inches now but it literally strikes anything. I open the enclosure to remove old food and it postures up and takes a swing at the tongs.

I heard P.irminias are fast...very fast. I have a P.cambrigei sling and I don't open it's enclosure without a catch cup in close proximity....and it's considered the more mellow of the 2 species.

I would go with the GBB. If you decide to get more T's in the same order, I'm sure there are dealers that offer P.irminia slings as freebies!

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Long story short, Im sending out a shipment of slings. I have to make a decision, keep 2 GBB slings from the lot, or keep 2 P.irminia slings from the lot. I was going to raise each up for breeding purposes....what would you do?

Stephen

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can't you just keep 2 of each? Then you don't have to make a decision!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
P. irminia would be easier to breed by far.
GBBs would be more satisfying if you happen to be successful, but females go through males like potato chips, and most males seem to realize this.
I take it you already have a female of each?

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
P. irminia would be easier to breed by far.
GBBs would be more satisfying if you happen to be successful, but females go through males like potato chips, and most males seem to realize this.
I take it you already have a female of each?
Correct....so it looks like P.irmina is the way to go. I love both, and really just couldn't decide.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as which is better, can't say too much as I only recently acquired one of each. Thus far, the Gbb sling is, IMO, more attractive than the irminia sling and the Gbb is visible at all times whereas the irminia has made a little burrow and does hide in it most of the time. However, I love the coloration on an adult irminia even more than the colors on adult Gbbs. Personally, I'd say either keep both pairs until you know what sex each is, or at least keep one of each. :)

Ingar

Arachnopeon
As far as which is better, can't say too much as I only recently acquired one of each. Thus far, the Gbb sling is, IMO, more attractive than the irminia sling and the Gbb is visible at all times whereas the irminia has made a little burrow and does hide in it most of the time. However, I love the coloration on an adult irminia even more than the colors on adult Gbbs. Personally, I'd say either keep both pairs until you know what sex each is, or at least keep one of each. :)

Thats true. But it makes sence why P. irminia prefers to hide - the explanation goes with P. irminia lifestile - living with active foraging at night and hiding in gaps of bark during daylight..
GBB living in schrubs where is difficult to be noticed from their natural enemies.