Python Heart Study

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Yes, thanks! Very interesting. I know that human muscles also grow by increasing cell size, rather than cell number, and that this is mainly due to increased production of mitochondria and actin-myosin contractile fibers. But this article suggests a fascinating regulatory role for fatty acid signaling and transport in hypertrophy. I wonder if omega-3 fatty acids, which associative studies have so well-supported as protective against heart disease, may exert some beneficial effects directly on muscle (rather than indirectly by protecting vasculature, as has been the focus in most research to date).

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It will be intersting to see what this will lead to.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Captive snakes DO get heart disease, in terms of fat deposits blocking arteries and heart chambers. I've helped with necropsies on pet snakes that just dropped dead for no apparent reason, including one of my own, and this was the finding. Many people tend to overfeed snakes, and of course, captive snakes don't move around much, so they will quickly get too fat. Sometimes the fat is just around/inside organs and isn't readily apparent, so the snakes looks "healthy", but really isn't.

pitbulllady