1st time ordering FFF's, need help!

a3overlord

Arachnopeon
I ordered flightless fruit fly cultures for the 1st time the other day, they arrived on time. I opened the box and box and both deli cups were completely
coated on the inside and nothing was moving. It looked as if the adults had gotten stuck in the medium. Anyway, is this normal, I have emailed the person I got them from, but it was late and haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks for the help :)

IMG_2985.jpg IMG_2986.jpg

a3overlord

Arachnopeon
Seriously, no one has ever ordered these before? No one knows what they are supposed to look like?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wouldnt worry about it....the maggots burrow down through the media anyways..they should start maturing into adults soon..

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Those are pupae. Expect a ton of flies pretty soon.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Those are pupae. Expect a ton of flies pretty soon.
+1 for sure I have some that look just like it right now. Shipping made it a bit messy but hey they should come out alright.

jim777

Arachnosquire
Yeah, those will all mature to flies in a few days. When they do, tap the top of the container to knock them off the lid before you open it, and then only open a fraction of the top so a few jump out beofer you close it. Never just open the top completely without the tap or you'll have a stampede on your hands :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
best to put them in the fridge for a little bit before using them..then you can just open up the lid and get one as you need it, but they warm up quick and start to climb everywhere...