trinidad olive

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
can anyone tell me about the Trinidad Olive from their own experience? Im thinkin it might be a high strung T. Ive never seen a sling go outta it's mind chasin pinheads. It spazzes all over the vial catchin em. its pretty comical really. Id love to hear from people who have one. Thanks in advance!:coffee:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I am assuming you mean H. incei, but that's the trouble with common names. P. cambridgei has a similar common name. This is why scientific names are so important, to avoid confusion.

As far as H. incei goes, they are fast and skittish. They will run before they give you a threat display. Very fun little spiders.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not trying to thread jack but was about to ask about these little guys.

Do they do best as communal or are they fine on their own? Would like one of these guys but definitely not ready for communal.

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
H. incei is correct. Cant answer Fins. This is my first one of these and its the size=2 grains of rice if that. but she is voracious so far. eats wonderfully. lots of little web.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member

Do they do best as communal or are they fine on their own? Would like one of these guys but definitely not ready for communal.
They are absolutely fine on their own. They do not have to be kept communally, some people just like to keep them that way.

Get one, you won't regret it. :) They web a lot, and burrow as well. Mine had very elaborate tube webs, burrows, webbing, her enclosure was like a maze. They eat very well and are just all around fun, pretty little spiders. They are fast and quick to run, but if you have a catch cup handy when doing any kind of maintanence, you'll be fine.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
I've kept them both communally and alone and they are fine either way. Definitely fun to keep and you can turn any medium sized enclosure into a paradise for them because they don't grow so big. They do love webbing the heck out of everything and eat extremely well as mentioned above. I am currently keeping a MF who is guarding an egg case and will hopefully have some slings popping their heads out any time soon. Breeding is an absolute breeze because the mothers take great care of the slings all the way through, and if kept communally I find that other females even seem to "help out" when caring and feeding for the slings. An interesting T, nice coloration, good temperament, really really fast... All around great.

wickee

Arachnopeon
I am assuming you mean H. incei, but that's the trouble with common names. P. cambridgei has a similar common name. This is why scientific names are so important, to avoid confusion.

As far as H. incei goes, they are fast and skittish. They will run before they give you a threat display. Very fun little spiders.
I'm curious about how the scientific names decrease misinformation and I've yet to hear a plausible explanation that makes sense. If I'm looking at P. cambridgei and call it an H. Incei or vice versa how does that decrease misinformation? I'm not trying to be difficult but you either know what your looking at or you don't. I'm not sure about how calling it by the wrong common name or the wrong scientific name makes any difference. Again, I've yet to have someone provide me a plausible explanation to this. FYI I have a science based background, studies microbiology/biology and chemistry and I'm a registered nurse so I have a great deal of experience in the sciences and this constant claim eludes me?

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire

Communal setups aren't usually recommended. If you do it incorrectly, it can easily result in cannibalism. And tarantulas are not social animals, at most they tolerate each other in communal setups. Keeping an incei by itself is more than fine.

I'm curious about how the scientific names decrease misinformation and I've yet to hear a plausible explanation that makes sense. If I'm looking at P. cambridgei and call it an H. Incei or vice versa how does that decrease misinformation? I'm not trying to be difficult but you either know what your looking at or you don't. I'm not sure about how calling it by the wrong common name or the wrong scientific name makes any difference. Again, I've yet to have someone provide me a plausible explanation to this. FYI I have a science based background, studies microbiology/biology and chemistry and I'm a registered nurse so I have a great deal of experience in the sciences and this constant claim eludes me?
Scientific names are more specific, and when you say H. incei or P. cambridgei people know exactly what your talking about, as opposed to saying Trinidad Olive, which could get confused with other species. A lot of species with the same genuses that look similar (e.g. B. Smithi, B. Hamorii) can be easily confused when you go by the common name. This results in miscommunication and can lead to hybridization, mislabeling, etc. Common names are just too vague, especially when dealing with Ts of different species that looks similar with similar common names. Also I don't really know how you being a registered nurse applies to knowledge of this situation?

cold blood

Staff member
. I'm not sure about how calling it by the wrong common name or the wrong scientific name makes any difference
Because they have different husbandry...to get accurate info, we need to know the species...a random name doesn't give anyone enough info to actually be helpful. If you don't know the scientific name, you don't know what you have. Common names are bad because they are often made up, over lap names or in many cases, have a whole bunch of common names attributed to a single species...some have very similar common names despite being completely different spiders.

Its like fixing your honda accord and going into autozone to buy parts and telling them you have a Ford mustang, or just that its a red 4 door.....you gonna get the wrong parts, even if they are both the same part name.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
What a lame thing to necro over
Gonna be honest, I didn't even realize this thread was from 2011 until you said something and I looked at the date

wickee

Arachnopeon
Communal setups aren't usually recommended. If you do it incorrectly, it can easily result in cannibalism. And tarantulas are not social animals, at most they tolerate each other in communal setups. Keeping an incei by itself is more than fine.

Scientific names are more specific, and when you say H. incei or P. cambridgei people know exactly what your talking about, as opposed to saying Trinidad Olive, which could get confused with other species. A lot of species with the same genuses that look similar (e.g. B. Smithi, B. Hamorii) can be easily confused when you go by the common name. This results in miscommunication and can lead to hybridization, mislabeling, etc. Common names are just too vague, especially when dealing with Ts of different species that looks similar with similar common names. Also I don't really know how you being a registered nurse applies to knowledge of this situation?
The answer the first question nursing a science based profession. I believe we are talking about specifics and in the healthcare field specifics based on evidence based science is the foundation of everything we do. I never implied that my being a nurse gave me any specific insight into tarantulas but it certainly gives me quite a bit of insight into the scientific method and more so than someone who doesn't work in a science based field where labeling of things with precision is actually a life or death situation in many instances. I could go on for an hour about generic versus brand name medications but I won't bog the topic down in relevant comparisons. Your response however didn't clarify anything. When you look at an animal regardless of it's similarity to other animals you either know what it is or you don't. You could just as easily mislabel a Grammastola Pulcripes as a aphonopelma seemanni as you could a Chaco Golden Knee as a costa rican stripe knee if you don't know the difference.

So ultimately it comes down to whether the person providing the information, the sender, has the experience and understanding to know what they are looking at and then it would require the receiver to have the same level of understanding. That is speech 101. Essentially you are simply saying it provides clarity because it does. I've heard that argument before and it doesn't hold water.

There may be an argument that supports the use of these scientific names, that also change frequently and in some cases more often that the common names so you haven't convinced me based on simply saying it lessens confusion. It's not logical that it lessens confusion since the source of confusion isn't what the tarantula is but based on the knowledge of the person looking at the tarantula. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know many of them on sight but the scientific name push sort of rides along the handling issue. There are people just firmly rooted in opinions without any science to back it up. We don't eliminate generic medications due to confusion and I think if it's permissible where people's lives are on the line I'm guessing that in the arena of identifying tarantulas in the hobby it's probably not as big a deal as people make it out to be. But that is just my opinion and if someone has a stronger argument I certainly can be swayed, nor am I trying to convince anyone else of my perspective. In short you either know what you are looking at or you don't. You can just as easily apply the wrong scientific name as you can the common name. No difference.

Because they have different husbandry...to get accurate info, we need to know the species...a random name doesn't give anyone enough info to actually be helpful. If you don't know the scientific name, you don't know what you have. Common names are bad because they are often made up, over lap names or in many cases, have a whole bunch of common names attributed to a single species...some have very similar common names despite being completely different spiders.

Its like fixing your honda accord and going into autozone to buy parts and telling them you have a Ford mustang, or just that its a red 4 door.....you gonna get the wrong parts, even if they are both the same part name.
apples and oranges. You could just as easily go into an autozone to fix your ford mustang and tell this it's an accord. You either know what you are looking at or you don't. The guy behind the counter who can't see your car can't validate it either way can he. They would have to rely on what you tell them. You can call something by the wrong scientific name as easily as a common name. That's a fact. People misuse scientific names and mislabel them with scientific names just as often as the common names. It seems the argument everyone has is the minute you invoke a scientific name you must know what you are talking about. That ultimately is what this comes down to. I've had people misidentify species by scientific names on more than one occasion and as I said earlier scientific names change frequently also and in some cases more often than the common name. It's a circular argument and I know for a fact where life and death situations are involved there isn't this urgency of using only one name such as with medications. So I'm thinking if the scientific community isn't bought into this theory where peoples lives are on the line that the logic doesn't hold water.

cold blood

Staff member
apples and oranges
just like your comparison to prescription drugs, eh?

You could just as easily go into an autozone to fix your ford mustang and tell this it's an accord. You either know what you are looking at or you don't
Yeah, that's my point, if you dont know the name of what you are looking for, you don't actually know what you are looking for.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
@wickee So what if you told your patient "I'm gonna prescribe you this pain medication", but don't specify whether it's oxycodone or ibuprofen, how are they gonna know when to take it, and how much to take? According to your logic, you shouldn't specify because you could confuse oxycodone with ibuprofen just as easily as the confusion caused by just prescribing "pain killers". You're way more likely to cause confusion if you use vague umbrella terms which can apply to different things than if you use specific names. I mean yeah, there's always the chance someone will give you oxycodone and say it's ibuprofen, but would you rather them just tell you "oh yeah, it's a painkiller"?.

I don't think you realize how vague the common names are. The name "pink toe" for example, literally applies to like, the entire Avicularia genus, and also C. versicolor. If you say "My Pink Toe Tarantula" nobody knows which one you're talking about. That's why it's more confusing. You'd rather use the name "Pink Toe" than A. metallica on the rare chance that it's mislabeled and actually A. avicularia?

Hopefully I worded that in a way that makes sense

Last edited: