Sling Q

littleangel7700

Arachnopeon
I just received an I. mira sling this past Wednesday, about 3/4" DLS or so. I have not attempted to feed it yet...gotta get some little crickets. It dug a burrow a few days ago in the deli cup I put it in. When I peeked inside today, it had webbed the burrow opening shut. Is this something they do, or does it mean the sling's going to molt? Since I just got it, I don't know it's molt history, and I don't want to try to feed it if it's about to molt. I've never had a sling before (actually, I only got my first T last Sunday!), so I'm not totally sure about their behaviors. Any help would be great! Thanks!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i usually wait about 5 days or so before i attempt to feed ANY sized t after i re house it. if you just got it its prob real stressed out due to its shipping/transportation. the webbed burrow sounds like normal sling behavior molt or not so id say go for it. offer it its pray and if its not gone within a few hrs. take it out and try again tomorrow

RedMozi

Arachnopeon
Idiothele Mira's love to web and burrow. Just about the only time they come out of their burrow is to grab what you feed them, or to molt. I have one thats about 1.5 inches (molted 2-3 times in my care). Recently cleaned out its enclosure and gave it fresh substrate/water. Not long after I rehoused her, she began webbing, but didn't burrow (also wouldn't eat). Several days later I found she had molted. Hope this helps :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Nice pick up! I believe this species actually builds a trap door, at what size they begin to do this I don't know.