Please help me pick another very large spider species.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am interested in getting another very large spider species. I currently have multiple Theraphosa stirmi and Lasiodora parahybana. Could you recommend another very large spider species (not Theraphosa genus)? I was thinking of Acanthoscurria geniculata but I am unsure what other species are available. Thank you for your help.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. Any idea how big the Xenethis immanis get? I have been looking at them too.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Xenesthis immanis or Pamphobeteus platyomma. Maybe a Poecilotheria sp? Maybe you want to try another Lasiodora sp?

Most Brachypelma spp. get pretty big, but not quite as big as the others mentioned. They're also arguably handleable for the most part. I love my B vagans! I have six of them!

Look through the genus galleries on this wonderful website and you can see loads of different genera of all shapes and sizes.

Edit: screwed up my HTML :(

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Xenesthis immanis or Pamphobeteus platyomma[i/]. Maybe a Poecilotheria sp? Maybe you want to try another Lasiodora sp?

Most Brachypelma spp. get pretty big, but not quite as big as the others mentioned. They're also arguably handleable for the most part. I love my B vagans! I have six of them!

Look through the genus galleries on this wonderful website and you can see loads of different genera of all shapes and sizes.

Thanks. Yes, maybe another Lasiodora species. I have also been thinking of:

Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)
Haitian Brown (Phormictopus cancerides)
Asian Smokey (Chilobrachys dyscolus)

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Try my personal fav - Acanthoscurria brocklehursti - the hairs are killer but an all around beauty.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard they can get up to 9"

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.189142,-119.169133
Thanks. That is big.

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 10:02 PM ----------

Try my personal fav - Acanthoscurria brocklehursti - the hairs are killer but an all around beauty.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

Why do you like Acanthoscurria brocklehursti more than Acanthoscurria geniculata?

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
I like this species: Poecilotheria striata, can get up to 8" and is very nice to look at.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my A. genic is def a large girl. solid 8.5" legspan and always in the open like my old parahybana. large ts are pretty cool to observe and i love watchin em eat

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
P. Ornata (biggest pokie) A. genic or brock...those are the biggest aside from Theraposa or the Lasiadora...

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you don't have a Poecilotheria, you really should get one, any of of them get decently large, have amazing colors, big eaters, and are pretty decent webbers, if you like arboreals you can't go wrong with one.

My only personal experience is with my male 3+" regalis, but I'm hooked on pokies and want some of every one of them.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. Ornata (biggest pokie) A. genic or brock...those are the biggest aside from Theraposa or the Lasiadora...
Great!!! Just what I wanted to know. It A. genic and A. brock similar in size, temperament and easy of care?

---------- Post added 10-30-2011 at 08:51 AM ----------

If you don't have a Poecilotheria, you really should get one, any of of them get decently large, have amazing colors, big eaters, and are pretty decent webbers, if you like arboreals you can't go wrong with one.

My only personal experience is with my male 3+" regalis, but I'm hooked on pokies and want some of every one of them.
Thanks. Sounds like I need to get a Poecilotheria Ornata and a A. genic or brock.