Avicularia sp. ID

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Got a pair of sub adult male and female avics from a show but I'm not sure what sp they are, any help would be appreciated.

sub male:
100_2553.jpg

sub female:
100_2555.jpg

takelondon

Arachnosquire
I'm no expert but i'm going to say metallicas
Coloration looks nothing like an A. metallica. A lot of white hairs, but the same is true of A. sp. "Peru purple" and multiple other Avicularia spp. The specie of tarantula typically referred to when speaking of "A. metallica" has white hairs on the abdomen rather than red, and usually a greenish or sometimes bluish hue as a base color. If you're no expert on the subject, it is probably better to wait for someone who is to come along, rather than giving incorrect information that may lead the OP in the wrong direction.

-Kendra

Last edited:

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I agree. They can't be A. metallica cause i already have a girl that looks nothing like them. :sarcasm:

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IDing Avicularia spp. through photos is EXTREMELY difficult(if not impossible) and unreliable(most times it is just guessing, as above). A picture from directly above would help see the coloration and patterning.

I agree, definitely not A. metallica as they have no red setae at all, one of their most distinguishing features, though still unreliable through pictures.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I considerd possibly A.amizonica but the colors seem a bit off from my point of view.

sebeed

Arachnopeon
to me it seems to resemble an A.diversipes. but i could be seeing things.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
to me it seems to resemble an A.diversipes. but i could be seeing things.
Not diversipes.Looks like a juvie Peru Purple to me(shrugs),or POSSIBLY urticans? But who knows.Anyhthing but laeta,minatrix,purpurea,diversipes and versicolor are a MESS.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Not A. diversipes or metallica for sure.

But as already posted, IDing Avics by pictures is next to impossible.

And as I always post about Avics, I'd say another hybrid lol! But yeah, looking more like sp.peru purple than anything else...

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Yeah I think sp. Peru is the closest so far, but I take it that it wont be wise to breed these two given the huge possibility of them being hybrids.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Yeah I think sp. Peru is the closest so far, but I take it that it wont be wise to breed these two given the huge possibility of them being hybrids.
Not saying it's a huge possibilty, but with all the breedings that go on without being 100% sure what species they are, of course it would be wise to not be part of that. I recently purchased a MM Avic that I've been unsure of what species it is since I got it, so I sucked up the money loss, and displayed the species in my room without any attempt at breeding it...

If they did come from the same sac though, well at least there won't be any further harm if they bred together, but if it was only me, I wouldn't.

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Coloration looks nothing like an A. metallica. A lot of white hairs, but the same is true of A. sp. "Peru purple" and multiple other Avicularia spp. The specie of tarantula typically referred to when speaking of "A. metallica" has white hairs on the abdomen rather than red, and usually a greenish or sometimes bluish hue as a base color. If you're no expert on the subject, it is probably better to wait for someone who is to come along, rather than giving incorrect information that may lead the OP in the wrong direction.

-Kendra
that's why I put in the "not an expert" clause