Cobalt Blue very sad

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
Went to my local pet store and saw something that made me very sad, a cobalt blue about 3.5-4" living in 1" of sand, multiply dead crickets, and only a small water dish for moisture. It was webbed up under a cork bark slab and it looked dehydrated. I spoke to a employee about a price and they want $60 for it. I also found out theyve had it almost a year living like that. I'd like the buy it and get it out of there but I don't wanna buy a spider that could die in a couple of weeks, and plus judging by its more brownish than blue color im guessing its probably a male, but I dont know for sure cause it way to pissed about not having a burrow to get a good look.

What to do :/?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you should probably just put it out of your mind....if you buy it, they will get another one...the pet store i go to keeps the T's all the same way...tiny kritter keepers, sponges, a thousand crickets crawling all over the T's...ive tried to tell them, and even taken the sponges out myself, and they put them right back....doesnt work...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately, leave him there. If he dies after not selling for a year, perhaps they won't get another T in. If it sells, they will do the same thing to another one.

Marga

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Leave it. They'll just replace it with another spider that they'll likely put in similar conditions. Best thing you can do is attempt to talk to the owner and see if they'll change it's setup.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
thing is this pet store isnt like petco they probably wont get another cobalt blue theyll just stick to their G. rosea's that tend to sell, but then again idk. next time i go im gonna take a pic just to show yall. they keep the rosea the same aswell just no cork bark and less dead crickets. its a juvi about 3"

Slevin

Arachnosquire
wow that's eerie. i've been through the exact same situation here in washington. it was a large H. lividum in a tall tank with around 1" of sand for substrate and water crystals in a bowl. it was browned slightly, curled in a corner and its abdomen was astonishingly small. like so small i couldn't believe it was alive. they wanted 135 dollars for it! i've seen it there 4 or 5 times i've visited the place in the past year. didn't see it the last time i stopped by though...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the abdomen finally got too small probably...
wow that's eerie. i've been through the exact same situation here in washington. it was a large H. lividum in a tall tank with around 1" of sand for substrate and water crystals in a bowl. it was browned slightly, curled in a corner and its abdomen was astonishingly small. like so small i couldn't believe it was alive. they wanted 135 dollars for it! i've seen it there 4 or 5 times i've visited the place in the past year. didn't see it the last time i stopped by though...

SEB

Arachnosquire
This is all really sad and it's unfortunate that a tarantula has to die in order for a pet shop to learn its lesson. I see it with other animals all time too. Snakes, Chameleons, Turtles etc. Wrong caging, wrong climate and unkempt.

I just tell them what is wrong with the situation and find another pet store to purchase from.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Yeah, it's crap. The pet shop here is constantly putting terristrial tarantulas in arboreal tanks with like an inch of substrate :/ they seem to think b.smithis like 20 inch high tanks with barely any space to move, lots of trees and no substrate.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
thats another thing the kritter keeper was huge, atleast 8wx4wx15h. what mostly blew my mind was seeing lizards living on coco fiber and a tarantula on sand. its hard for a pet store to learn if it lasts a year or more before dying. there so ignorant theyd probably suspect old age even tho it still isnt fully matured

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
so i went back to the pet store to snap a photo and broke down and bought the cobalt blue. i couldnt help myself it looked sad. i took a photo of the enclosure as the had it and after i redid it, plus a pic of the spider which i will post in a min

synyster

Arachnobaron
I would add more sub than that if I were you.

And is it me or the spider looks way healthier than what I was expecting to see....?

SEB

Arachnosquire

And is it me or the spider looks way healthier than what I was expecting to see....?
I agree with both statements here. It does look surprisingly healthy... which is a good thing.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon

yea i only had 1 brick of coco fiber so i just used it for the time being, i agree with the healthiness. it looked very unhealthy in its old setup, but now that i put it in another setup it doesnt look as bad. also i spoke to the owner of the shop and he said it molted about 2 weeks ago so that explains its "man im hungry" look. i made a starter burrow under the cork bark so hopefully it'll go in there and chill out a little bit so i can work with it as far as moving it to work on its enclosure. lol when i was putting it in its enclosure it wouldnt get out of its web bed and when i tried to help it it went into attack mode and tried to climb the tongs to get me

Birdman10682

Arachnopeon
I know that spider! I see it everytime I go to the pet store your talking about, or at least I did before now. Glad to see that someone got that Tarantula. I really didn't think I would see it alive again after the last visit to the pet store. Take good care of it, it deserves it after all it went through.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
I know that spider! I see it everytime I go to the pet store your talking about, or at least I did before now. Glad to see that someone got that Tarantula. I really didn't think I would see it alive again after the last visit to the pet store. Take good care of it, it deserves it after all it went through.
o_O and the pet store is called.....?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Have fun with your pretty cobalt blue.

But I think, the thing to do in these situations, is go there everyday and bug them until they change the setting. Maybe print a picture of a cobalt blue for them to put by the cage in case the animal burrows.