Skiddish Skink

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
I know skinks have a tendency to be skiddish, but is there a way to help ease them into being held? I have a red sided (fire sided) African skink and she is very fast when we try to touch her. She actually bit the guy who took her out of her cage when we bought her (didn't break skin though)!

This is my first reptile so I am very new at this :)

Also, any feedings tips? I feed her about 4 large crickets every other day- just right, under feeding, or over feeding?? :o_O:

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
It would be really helpful if you gave us a complete explanation (pictures would be awesome too) of its enclosure, and what kind of supplement regimen you have going for it, as well as where you got it from.

Don't forget lighting/heat. Then we can work on the feeding, and you'll have any possible questions about your husbandry dealt with in one shot.

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
The heat source is under about 3/4 of the tank- it's not a mat, but a system of "repti-heat cables". Large (but shallow) water bowl in the corner, plank wood, fake plants, coconut fiber, and a little Buddha for luck :p
10 gallon tank btw.

IMG_2159.jpg

This is the best picture I have right now.

I got her from Petco about 3 days ago and I am in the process of ordering a calcium powder for her.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she frowns upon being handled, then respect her wishes. Handling her will stress her out.

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
If she frowns upon being handled, then respect her wishes. Handling her will stress her out.
She allows us to pet her, but if we try to pick her up she runs away. But how does the feeding regime sound (4 crickets every other day)? As well as the husbandry?