B. boehmei behavior normal ????

5858Vince

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone. I'm new to keeping tarantulas and new to posting on the forum. I got my first 5 T's from swiftinverts.com last week on Tuesday. I got a Brachypelma boehmei 1/4", Heteroscodra maculata 1/4", Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 3/4", Lasiodora parahybana 1/4" and a Cyriopagopus schioedtei 1". They are awesome. My question is regarding the B. boehmei. It is a 1/4" and hasn't eaten since I got it. I know some of the pre-molt signs are large abdomen, darker color, not eating and lethargic. I just got it so I don't know if it's darker. The abdomen doesn't look that big and it's been moving around it's enclosure pretty well until the last day and a half. Last day and a half it's been in its burrow but hasn't sealed itself in there.

All 4 of the other T's have eaten twice already. I know T's can go a long while without eating but I thought spiderlings feed pretty regularly so they can grow. Is it normal for the B. boehmei to not eat for a while as a spiderling? Is it more likely it's pre-molt and all the signs aren't showing yet?

You can check them out on youtube.com. You can find them by searching 5858Vince since I'm not sure yet how to link them here in the forum.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could be just settling in to it's new environmnt. Could be pre-molt. At that tiny size they will molt almost monthly so the time they may actively be eating may not be very long and if you break it down into weekly behavior it might go something like....eat for one week...stops eating for two weeks....molts...no eating for one week...repeat. Just make sure to keep humidity a little higher. Boehmeis are a dry species, but tiny slings dehydrate fast...especially if they're not actively eating. Keep one side of the substrate moist and even try to let some condensation build up. The sling will drink that since it's too small for a water dish. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

Ingar

Arachnopeon
Just in case..
If abdomen is relatively big and T didn't eaten a long time ago, you can take soft paintbrush and gently rub off hairs from upper side of spider's abdomen till bald spot apears. Then look at condition of the skin - if it is very dark or even in black color - be sure T will molt soon.
It's mine method to ensure myself if T's are healthy and if they have diapauses also. Sometimes it is hard to tell this information, if your T is extremely rarely been disturbed and have all hairs on their back.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good info Ingar. I actually like the bald spot cause it's a good visual indicator to a pending molt. It will be easy to see if it's darkening. Then you know for sure!

5858Vince

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for your reply. I have been keeping the substrate pretty dry because boehmeis are a dry species. I had completely forgotten that slings need more humidity. Thanks again.
Right now it has burrowed all the way to the bottom of the enclosure and then taken a right turn, so the burrow is "L" shaped, so it is hard to get a good look at the abdomen.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Brachy's tend to do this as slings. I'm no expert but I do have a brachy sling and he/she burrowed and probably molted as it appears a slightly larger now. I'm not convinced slings shut-off their burrows when molting or their webbing is too small to see. Moistening the substrate is a must for slings and keeping at least on corner with droplets to drink. Mine tends to eat on the days I moisten the substrate which is about every other day or sometimes 2 days to keep mold from growing. Patience is key.