OBT Regeneration

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
My OBT sling molted a week ago and lost 3 legs and both pedipalps. I was afraid it wouldn't survive but it ate a mealworn lastnight. I love the way it ate the mealworm, it bit it and waited till it died to eat it. I'm gonna post a photo of the OBT now and after its next molt. I'll also keep everyone up to date on its status weekly. Hopefully this will help people with leg loss issues find info rather than start up multiple threads entitled "T lost leg PLEASE HELP!!!" lol
h 032.JPG

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When it molts, it should have everything regenerated, just thinner and weaker. By the second molt, everything should look normal again.

Good luck.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
When it molts, it should have everything regenerated, just thinner and weaker. By the second molt, everything should look normal again.

Good luck.
yea im looking forward to its next molt just to see it renewed. lol my luck it'll regrow its legs and lose the others o_O

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Will you post up a photo of it from the top? I imagine it must look kinda cute.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I guess you won't mind me posting the pictures before you do ;)

Pterinochilus murinus accident '09. These pictures are all the same specimen.

Before the accident

20 minutes after the accident

Result of 4 limbs lost

back two legs regenerated

All legs regenerated

Enjoy and good luck with your specimen :)

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
did it try to escape synyster? and also how long did it go between molts? does the molt process speed up so it can regenerate?

synyster

Arachnobaron
did it try to escape synyster? and also how long did it go between molts? does the molt process speed up so it can regenerate?
No, a cat got into my T room without me noticing, and knocked this tank over. Nothing opened or broke, but the spider got buried in the sub. Must have hit the legs during the fall since this specimen had arboreal tendencies...

As for the time, everything was pretty much the same as before. No longer, no shorter. The noticeable trait though is that it did not even gain 1/5th of an inch in 2 molts. It is still the exact same size as before the accident, which is completely normal.

It's amazing to see how well they adapt to this though. It was never fed pre-killed during the whole time. I would just normally toss a mature cricket inside the enclosure and let it do it's thing. I did however raise humidity (even though this is a dry-loving species) and rehoused into a really small enclosure.

Hope this helps!

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
mine has already started to adapt. it usually burrowed but now it made a slanted webbing for it to sit on. i just drop a live mealworm on the web and it bites it, waits for it to die, and then chows down.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I think the size of the T also helps determine the speed and completeness of regeneration. My T. cupreus, Morado, looks normal. He lost L1/L2 and both palps in a bad molt. He was about 2" or so. He molted 4 weeks later with all limbs intact and looks and is acting perfectly normal now.

The sling might look quite normal with the next molt.

I crushed the heads of crickets and gave them to Morado, and he chowed on them quite happily. I found out earlier this week he molted again all on his own, and he is perfect.

Marga

synyster

Arachnobaron
I agree, size probably has an influence on the speed of regeneration. Mine was 3.5" then and is 3.5" now lol. Now that the regeneration is almost complete (legs I&II are still thin and short) I'm looking forward to seeing if she max's out to normal P. murinus size or if she will just be a smaller specimen. By the looks of her last molt, she is mature (spermathacae is sclerotized).

JuliaGulia87

Arachnopeon
Bless this post!!! I have a rosie who is missing both leg I's...I know they'll regenerate but I'm still just being a worry wart about it. I feel a little better though after seeing the before and after of the OBT accident.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
been a little over a month now and my OBT just molted. it has regrew all the legs and both pedipalps. they arent as long as the other legs but im sure by the next molt itll be as good as new. ill post a pic soon

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
oh wow that is awesome man! good to hear. That really is sad , i feel so bad when I read about that happening. Good for him , hes a trooper!

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, missed this thread before. Amazing regenerative abilities. Synyster, did you have to remove your OBT's ruined legs or did the T do it? If you did, how did you go about doing so?