Avic confusion??? Any Avic could be hybrid exept versi's???

voodoo chile

Arachnopeon
So from asking about some avic pics trying to find a female A, avicularia to breed with my male I stumbled on the fact that most people say you cannot guarantee any avic to be a pure avic of its specimen? The versi colour is the only true pure specimen & I read unique??? I have always noticed that versi's are more popular & more captive bred. What am I missing here? I am confused. So shall I just stick to versi's when it comes to avic's? Would wild caught A avicularia be a pure specimen??? A T store got lots of WC A avics.

can anyone shed some light on this subject I would be very greatful

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Only ones that are distinct are versi,laeta,purpurea,minatrix and diversipes. All others look alike as slings.A lot of mistakes happen when breeding other avic's,as they are not nearly as easy to ID as the ones that I mentioned earlier in the post.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A lot of T's would be hard to identify as slings. Think of what has to be done in order to identify T's as adults, from their taxonomy to specific characteristics. So if no one knows the sling's origin, they probably do not know what it is until it is more identifiable.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Call me crazy, but i like all the Avics. There are alot of them that look alike, even as mature specimens, but I love them all. I don't support or endorse any type of crossbreeding, but we would be fools to think there aren't some crossbred Avics floating around, along with other genus'.

getbornanddie

Arachnopeon
Interesting
I got a versi from a breeder as a baby but the adults were over $500 - the most expensive spider at the sacramento reptile show!

---------- Post added 07-15-2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

They only sold versis there they didnt have any other avic breed
Which can show you something because the sac reptile show is a pretty big thing
They make a lot of money there and a lot of vendors from all over the world come to sell their breeds there

It just might be either too hard or watever to get the other breeds that pure
Idk tho just wierd the only avic at an authentic reptile show was the versi
But they sell others else where
My conclusion is they are crossbreeds if they are not from a legit vendor
For instance petsmart sells a avic avic
We all know thats not what it really is

cold blood

Staff member
I got a versi from a breeder as a baby but the adults were over $500 - the most expensive spider at the sacramento reptile show!
There's a sucker born every minute, and that vendor was simply hoping one would stop by and impulse buy it without doing research. Curious how much the slings were:unsure:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Wow, even adult P. metallica probably dont cost that much.... They run for 60 bucks here in eu.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The whole Avicularia genus is a mess. It has been for years. Everyone is still waiting on the final cladistic analysis to be published by Fukushima. Until that happens, it'll stay as it is. Brett gave a good rundown there, although I'm gonna throw a wrench in that list as A. sp. "Colombia" looks black/white as slings like purpurea to my knowledge, too. As for versi/laeta - those slings look similiar to each other as well. Bottom line - unless you know the breeders reputation to know what he/she is selling - I'd stay away from purchasing any Avic slings from unknown sources.

In regards to the question raised if WCed Avics would be pure, it has been long assumed that these hybridize in the wild - but no proof towards that end or the opposite has been given scientifically so far to my knowledge.