New Article: Top 5 Snake Pets

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
I would replace rosy boas with kenyan sand boas. I used to have 11 rosies, all of them were very aggressive.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got my first snake, a ball python. I can see why it is on the list. It is super duper easy to care for and a very nice snake, in general. :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm glad to see Garters and Eastern Kings get some love here. Eastern Chain Kings are often ignored in favor of California Kings and more colorful tropical Milk Snakes due to the wide variety of morphs available in the Cali's and Milks, but you can't beat a big Eastern for personality and ease of care. Their only downside is the cannabilism issue, which can make captive breeding "interesting", to say the least, but I've seen CalKings that were just as bad. Garters, which used to be recommended as a "first snake" by many sources, have been ignored too much lately. I would include their larger but very similar relatives, the Water Snakes, here. Personality-wise, there's very little difference between the two, except that Water Snakes tend to be much calmer, even lazier, than the tamest Garter. My Garters NEVER sit still when I take them out and I'd actually describe them as "hyperactive" in that respect. I can't just place one down on the bed or couch while I clean its cage, something I can do with a Water Snake. It's not going to go anywhere. I can't imagine having a Garter just sit on my lap while I read or watch tv or surf the net, but I've done that many times with a Water Snake, even using them as "lap boards" for a book I'm reading!
I'm not sure I would have included Rosy Boas, either. Every Rosy I've seen was either very calm, or a psycho nut-case that would bite with no warning and just chew away, but it's hard to tell which you're getting. I would have included the Australian dwarf pythons like the Spotted instead, since with a few exceptions(found in all snake species), they are very docile and stay small. I also would have included the African House Snakes, which are similar to Corns in care, but look like little pythons themselves, and are amazingly soft to the touch.

pitbulllady

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think all in all they have it pretty good, well besides Rosy Boas. I would put Western Hognose on that list over Garter snakes but they probably made the list because of what they eat and ease of care, not their disposition. Other than that each of the five have their ups and downs.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had similar feedback from others, although I've not seen the same. Several I collected in Baja Mexico and CA were quite calm while photographed and took their time moving off when released...but lots of variables. Sand Boas are right up there with other great species. I plan some more specific articles in future and will include them.

Thanks and stay well, Frank

---------- Post added 11-03-2011 at 12:37 AM ----------

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear. One thing to bear in mind is that long fasts are typical for them (adds to ease of care..less feeding clean-up!). Here's an article with more info:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...troublesome-habits-of-a-popular-snake-part-1/

Best, Frank

---------- Post added 11-03-2011 at 12:43 AM ----------

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I plan a few more specialized articles in the future, best Smaller Snakes, etc. so will have a chance to include more. So many options...

Watersnakes are among my favorites. Wild caught ones dominated the trade in the past, aggression was often a drawback. Please see comment above re Rosy Boas. Here's an article on Northern Watersnake Natural History: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...troublesome-habits-of-a-popular-snake-part-1/
I
have not posted care section yet, best, Frank

---------- Post added 11-03-2011 at 12:46 AM ----------

Hi,

Thanks....Yes, so many options. Western Hognose are a great choice. I plan to include a few more specific "favorite" type articles in the future, and will be sure to include them. Best, Frank

littleangel7700

Arachnopeon
I have a Desert King, and she is super easy to care for, plus she's totally laid back. I've had her 8 years and lover her to death! I'd recommend Deserts to anyone. I also worked with numerous kings and rats for years, and they've all been great--wonderful starter snakes. I personally wouldn't go with garter snakes, as they can be a bit more finicky both with their requirements and their appetites, and I've found them to be high strung. And I personally have never found a water snake that wasn't super aggressive. (I'm NOT by any means saying they don't exist!) That's just my 2 cents worth.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

Thanks very much; Desert Kings are a great choice. I included garters so as to cover a temperate zone species that does not need rodents but they do have a few "quirks"; I agree on watersnakes...some more docile captive born individuals show up on occasion, but wild caught on es are a handful. There are so many options, I plan additional articles to cover good picks in different categories - best small constrictor, etc. Here's a 4 part article on garters, in case you have an interest:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...nakes-beautiful-interesting-and-hardy-part-1/

Best, Frank