New Beauties!

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I mostly keep scorps, but i also have an interest in Ts. I added these 2 beautiful ladies into my collection today :D.
Lampropelma Nigerrimum
View attachment 95167
View attachment 95169
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
View attachment 95168

I also have a question. I put a piece of bark i got from outside into the microwave to kill off bacteria and other organism. But now it produces some kind of fragrant smell, im afraid to use it not knowing if it may be dangerous to my Ts. Does the smell affect the Ts? It may seem like a silly question, but ive never used bark plucked from outside before, and i was really needing something for my arboreals inverts, so i decided to give it a go. Please advice, thanks :). Hope u enjoy the not so nice pictures ;).

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Thanks! Ingar, i already washed it but still has a smell. I washed using hot, normal water and cold water, all RO water.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats, esp on the nigerrimum. Such a gorgeous T!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
congrats...i suggest pitching the bark and getting some cork bark...the bark from outside will need baked and will still mostly likely rot and grow mold....because it will still have moisture in it......so its best just to use cork bark..

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice spiders!
I personally would not use the bark. It may be fine, it might not, don't chance it imo.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I see, thanks guys for the responses. I will look for corkbark :). I also just found out she got mites :(. I have to get rid of those...

Anyone have suggestiong on killing the mites on my T? They are stuck on her fangf and joints. I have been searching and all i found was how to get rid of those on the substrate...

Last edited:

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
I see, thanks guys for the responses. I will look for corkbark :). I also just found out she got mites :(. I have to get rid of those...

Anyone have suggestiong on killing the mites on my T? They are stuck on her fangf and joints. I have been searching and all i found was how to get rid of those on the substrate...
I have had the same problem before with an P. rufilata, which she eventually molted out and bam! no more mites, but she had grain mites. From what I have read it is really important to know what type of mites are on her. Some mites like grain mites usually don't eat the tarantula and will just hang around eating food that is around the mouth. Then there's some mites that will basically eat the tarantula from the inside out:( Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to identify mites, or at least for me it is. Only reason I found out was by tracing the source of the mites which led to the pet store cricket food. I did a lot of research when my rufilata had them and it seems the most effective way to get rid of them IMO, is to pick them off yourself. This requires you to knock the tarantula out and then pick them off one by one, this way also requires a lot of skill. I thought because I could not do this maybe a vet wound, for a vet this should be easy you would think. There are other ways like buying predatory mites in the hopes that they will eat them off her. This way has worked for some people, I tried it and had no success. Then you could try and coax the mites off by putting her into a moist cage for a day, and then taking her out and cleaning the cage and repeating this process over and over. In theory the mites leave the tarantula and wonder off into the substrate to find better food, I tried this with no success. The best thing though is that she forces a molt and takes care of it her self. I wish you luck.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
She wont molt, look at her size right now. She refuses to eat either, i thought she needed to settle down, but on second look i saw mites this morning. Now im afraid as i never experienced mites on my inverts before and i dont know what to do. How do i pick them off? With a moist Q Tip?

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
thanks for the video. Im going to try, just that instead im using water as i dont have vaseline ;).

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
thanks, i managed to clean majority away. But these are those tiny mites that stick onto the fangs, not the ones like in the video. There are still a few stuck in between her fangs, but i cant get it out.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Can't really say I know want to do about those. You did your best I guess, and having 5 or 6 mites on her is better then having 50. Like I said you might try to find a vet and see what they can do, it's a long shot I know but who knows. I assume a simple procedure like removing a mite should be easy for someone who has the training a vet has.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I just found out from a friend theyre phoretic mites, unsightly but not harmful, so its all good. She ate a roach last night, didnt manage to see it tho.

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens looks similar to Cyclosternum Fasciatum right?