ok I have some T breeds I want to know if these are all good beginers

ranchruler

Arachnopeon
here are the breeds are these good beginers ?
G.aureostriata
G.pulchra(I love these ones there color is amazing)
A.avicularia
G.pulchripes
B.smithi(I no these are good beginers)
B.albopilosum
A.versicolor(awsome color)
A.metallica
A.braunshauseni
L.parahybana
G.rosea
GBB
curly hair T

NickC4

Arachnosquire
Yeah, those are all pretty good except for the GBB. GBB's can be very nervous and aggressive, I would not recommend them as a beginner species. The rosea, curly hair and most of those are great handling speicies. (if you plan to handle)
Good luck

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
If your going to get any of the Avic's, I would say to start with one that is well started.

Later, Tom

ranchruler

Arachnopeon
yes I plan on handeling also is the brazilian white knee good also are baboons or birdeaters for more expireneced people

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Species, not breeds!!

Also, they're all fine to me; I'd stick with the Brachypelma or Grammostola terrestrials though.

jfuente31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes I plan on handeling also is the brazilian white knee good also are baboons or birdeaters for more expireneced people
I would say the old world species are for experienced keepers just for the fact that most of them have a completely different demeanor compared to most new world species, they tend to be faster and a bit more defensive than the new world species, thus this is why people do not handle OW`s.

All the T`s mentioned above are pretty good beginner T`s. But if I am to suggest from my experience with the ones I currently own, the most docile ones I currently have are my Avics and my Brachys, Grammotolas tend to be a bit more unpredictable at least my little ones :biggrin:, and so are my two Lasidoras, my GBB can be a bit skittish for the most part. But then again any T is a great T :)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here are the breeds are these good beginers ?
Tarantulas are not breeds

Domestic dog, Canis lupus familiaris is your dog, however your dogs genetic defects make up a different color coat, face etc,. It is still a subspecies of Canis lupus, in the family of Canidae (foxes, jackals, dingos, coyotes, wolf, etc)

Tarantulas belong to the family Theraphosidae,...and then there are genuses and species which make up entirely different specimens, etc.
Avicularia versicolor is not the same as lets say a Brachypelma smithi....

I could go into more detail...
but I need to go, so i left a lot out, just please don't call them breeds... lol

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those are all good BREEDS. I like different BREEDS. I like old world BREEDS like Pterinochilus MURINUS. it's a good BREED.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If its not pointed out theres going to be a new thread, from a new person, lets take my versicolor breed to mate with the the xxx tarantula breed! :)

edit
I get these questions in real life - can you breed this tarantula with that breed? like...in every presentation i do... which comes from people using wrong terminology... so its good to get the right terminology out there for future reference.

Sorry if I sounded harsh...

Crysta

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm not trying to nitpick, but G. aureostriata and G. pulchripes are the same spider, with G. pulchripes being its name now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEB

Arachnosquire
At the gas station do you correct someone for saying gas instead of petrol? Or vice versa?
No, you wouldn't. They are different words that mean the same thing.

Species and breeds do not mean the same thing.

It would be like going to the gas station and asking to fill up with alcohol when your car runs on gas.

Also, Crysta wasn't being mean, just nicely clarifying in case Ranchruler didn't actually know the difference. Nothing wrong with that.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I always try to point out these things just in case the person wants to know.
I dont know about all of you, but If I went around saying something incorrectly, I'd like to know about it.

Also, this is a forum about tarantulas. Things are going to be technical, if it's spider related.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
isnt a B. albopilosum a curly hair? lol....... anyway theyre all nice ts... the curly hair and the L. parahybana were my first ts and now i have 9 and counting including a few others off your list ... any specific questions you want answered?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, those are all pretty good except for the GBB. GBB's can be very nervous and aggressive, I would not recommend them as a beginner species. The rosea, curly hair and most of those are great handling speicies. (if you plan to handle)
Good luck
I disagree. I don't believe C. cyaneopubescens is an aggressive species. To be more specific, I don't think any species of tarantula is aggressive. Rather, some are defensive. I know this topic has been beaten to death in other threads, so I'll leave it at that. Whichever camp you fall in, I don't believe C. cyaneopubescens is an agressive/defensive species. I would even say that they are suitable for a well prepared beginner.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I disagree. I don't believe C. cyaneopubescens is an aggressive species. To be more specific, I don't think any species of tarantula is aggressive. Rather, some are defensive. I know this topic has been beaten to death in other threads, so I'll leave it at that. Whichever camp you fall in, I don't believe C. cyaneopubescens is an agressive/defensive species. I would even say that they are suitable for a well prepared beginner.
Agreed, GBB's aren't defensive typically. Fast and skittish sure, hair kickers, yes, but not defensive. I would also say they are fine, for a beginner who has done their research and is prepared.

NickC4

Arachnosquire
Ok, I see your point. If a person is knolegable enough then their good as a beginner but I would not recamend them as a species to handle but only to watch.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
kinda off topic here, but here in ohio we call mt. dew and all the drink...pop....seems like all the rest of the US calls it soda...what the heck...

SEB

Arachnosquire
kinda off topic here, but here in ohio we call mt. dew and all the drink...pop....seems like all the rest of the US calls it soda...what the heck...
In Nebraska they call is "soda pop"...