Escapes and recoveries aka who else has free range T's?

organickim

Arachnopeon
My very small and freshly molted A. versicolor escaped and is at large in my home. I never realized how dangerous the ceiling could be if you're only 1 inch long. I am wondering who else has "free range" tarantulas or other critters AND hoping for some encouraging stories about finding your lost T's after a few days or longer...? My spider has been out for less than 24 hours.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
wait till its dark and use a flashlight(might catch it crawlin round'), or try to use a small water bowl to try to get it while its thirsty, and keep lookin! people have 'lost' Ts and gotten them back safely

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I once lost a small P.regalis at my desk. Next day I found it inside my computer monitor by using a drinking straw to blow air inside of it. I heard of another enthusiast using a can of air sprayer to find a Haplopelma.

No free-range tarantulas for now. Only free-ranger I have is the preying mantis. I let her roam my desk and window. She stays pretty much in sight. :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I lost my OBt and never found it.. big 3-4" P regalis was caught after a hour and a half..
P striata I caught after 30 min all 3 times it got loose.. 6" female
MM Lp was running on my wall one day after collage.. 7" male just running on my wall I was liek OMFG?how did it get out@@!
I catch most escapies.. slings well obt .. RIP'''

OBT is deemed as dead.. sadly.. never found it

Last edited:

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I discourage visitors by claiming to have a colony of pokies free-ranging in my cave. Tee hee.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hoping for some encouraging stories about finding your lost T's after a few days or longer...? My spider has been out for less than 24 hours.
I girl I know lost a P. regalis. It was loose in her home for about a month. Her mom was maaaaaaad. They were having windows installed recently and the window man removed a window and found the spider in a gap around the window. He had work gloves on and caught the little sucker by hand. After it was caught, her mom said to GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE! lol

I feel bad that she had to get rid of it, but now I have it and one can never have too many pokies. :ninja:

I hope you find your versi.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A girl i know who is famous for her BS told me she lets all her T's free in her room with no tanks. I LoL'd at this so hard 1. They would kill each other 2. They would disapear/escape 3. Thats really dangerous as they could fall and die from the ceiling. I'm sure many people can agree this is utter bollocks. Also i couldn't sleep knowing theres huge spiders loose in nearby vacinity.

macj1983

Arachnosquire
My b.smiti has got out twice now think the lady has figured out how to open lid lol "maybe" once found in 10mins same box. Other my 10y old daughter found in kitchen in above stove nothing else yet

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ha i have a P regalis, it isn't bad so far. It only ever goes back into its hide.... knock on wood.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I had a P. irminia loose for about a week. My wife found it as she was getting into the shower. She wasn't happy about that...

organickim

Arachnopeon
Angrychair is correct. I did find my versi, the next day, hanging out on the box fan. She must have squeezed thru one of the ~3mm holes in her container. I resealed all the holes with hot glue and then used a hot 18g needle to make new ones. So far so good. ... I refer to my spider, called Muppet, as feminine by default. I haven't confirmed it yet.

morg59jeep

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a few free range jumping spiders. When ever I see them I catch them and throw them a roach nymph while they are eating I leave the lid off the container and they leave on their own terms.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know a guy with a free range a. versicolor in his garage turned greenhouse. he keeps and breeds(?) various pitcher plants and lost an avic in a rehousing. it posted up in one of the corners and has been living there for months.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had hatchlings of a few species escape, at least some of which get captured again. Spent a whole night up once catching baby Holothele sp "Tachira" on various walls of the house. (We'd shut the lights off, wait half an hour, turn them on again and check the walls. Fond more than 40 by morning.) I've also had a native species of tarantula show up on the bathroom floor. Not sure how he got there, but he's now in a cage and doing well. We have lots of species of native spiders established in the house, including Loxosceles arizonica (a recluse spider). We've even found two species of scorpions in the house. (Centruroides sculpturatus and Serradigitus allredi). The native species do well in the house as free-range animals, but the lack of humidity/water limits the exotics.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
well the only critter i have kicken around the house now is a C. fasciatum. it took off across my hand up my arm and so on. i have had a few different critters kicken around though like a 5' nile monitor, 8' red tailed boa, a few different species of geckos, and we can't forget about our basement spiders and friends.

Malodave

Arachnopeon
I have a 4" GBB loose in the house. I think it is up in the drop ceiling.
But, I have not looked up there yet. Someone threw a shoe at her
boyfriend and hit the kritter keeper off of the shelf. I didn't find a dead
spider behind the shelf, so I assume it is still alive.

Malodave

CoSpiderGuy

Arachnopeon
I had a 2" P. regalis get loose and found it about an hour later. I couldn't believe I actually found it. It had got under my dresser and up in one of the legs. Luck.....