G. pulchra Q's

littleangel7700

Arachnopeon
I just got a male G. pulchra last Wednesday. Not quite mature, approx 4" DLS. I have a couple questions about him. First, what's a good humidity level for him? I have a B. smithi, and I know they like it really dry. The humidity in the room he's in is naturally about 50%. Do I need to mist the cage at all? And second, is it weird he hasn't eaten yet? I've offered him crickets the last 2 days, and he's ignored them. My B. smithi that I got 3 days before him (female, also about 4" DLS), devoured her crickets. I know it takes a little while for them to settle in. He hangs out in his hidey hut every day, and climbs all over his cage at night. He looks great, and I know T's can go for months without eating if necessary, so I'm not really worried. I just wondered if this species, or if males in general, tend to have lower appetites. (I just got him, so I don't know when his last molt was, and he doesn't have a bald patch for me to check color. But he seems REALLY active to be in premolt. And he was eating crickets before I got him, so I don't think it's a matter of preference.) Thanks!

Emmymilan

Arachnopeon
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-pulchra.html
Caresheet for you.

I wouldn't worry about him not eating.
Leave the food for 24 hours if he still hasn't eaten,
remove the food and try again in a couple of days.

My G. pulchra is pretty active while she's premolt so,
You never really know. I just go with the food patterns and
wait for a molt, honestly.

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
He will eat when he is good and ready so don't worry too much, if his abdomen looks full then he is doing just fine. I have a sub adult female around 3.75" DLS that I feed an adult cricket once a week, sometimes she will not take it straight away, so I will take it out after a few hours and try again a few days later until eaten. She is nice and fat so obvioulsy this is enough food for her. Being a Grammy, its is not unusual for G pulchra to stop eating for extended periods, like G rosea. They are also very easy to look after, so don't get too hung up on a specific humidity level, they tend to like it a little more humid than B smithi or G rosea, but as long as they have access to a decent sized water bowl in the enclosure which you can over fill slightly now and then, they should do just fine. I do not bother with misting this species but the humidity in my house is around 70% anyway. Enjoy your black beauty, they are a very nice species to keep.