What kind of rattle snake is this?

annabelle

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone! I found this rattler on my hike a couple months ago.
Boy was he MAD. :eek:
I'm glad rattle snakes have their little warning system... Or I might have gotten bit up there!
A fellow hiker came and chased him off with a stick and I took a picture of him because I had never seen one in the wild!

Oh he looks so cute!
Can anyone tell me what species this is?
I found him near SLC, Utah.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Crotalus molossus(Northern black-tailed rattlesnake) I did think it was a nothern Pacific rattlesnake for a minute though. But I don't know really

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion, this looks like Crotalus oreganus lutosus, or the Great Basin rattlesnake. I don't believe Crotalus molossus is native to Utah, assuming that is where the picture was taken.

Attachments

annabelle

Arachnosquire
Yes it was in Utah. And I think the Great Basin rattlesnake looks a lot like this one. Thanks a lot guys. Amazing creatures!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a really nice-looking Great Basin, slightly abberant, looks like he just shed. Great find!

pitbulllady

jdl

Arachnosquire
At that elevation it seems like it would be a Crotalus oreganus concolor. I didn't think they ranged that far north so I am probably wrong.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that elevation it seems like it would be a Crotalus oreganus concolor. I didn't think they ranged that far north so I am probably wrong.
No, it's definitely lutosus.