who's afraid of the big bad slugs

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hay guys whats up i was just wondering if anyone had any info on where to purchase or care of or just any info at all on giant slugs i would realy like to get one. i here there are some slugs in alaska and oregon that get aroud 27 centimeters long does anyone know anything about them

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
we have large slugs here, they get to be about 6" long or so.
I wouldn't know how, or even whether I could by law ship them though...

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, 6in. slugs? I'm interested now, guess I got some looking up to do.
Steve

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in michigan and i just caught a 6-8" slug, its leopard spotted. No idea what kind it is or if i could ship it... but i got them all over my yard!!!

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With the Giant slug thats found in Oregon and Alaska, i think you mean Ariolimax columbianus, the Banana Slug, they get to around 25cm, a little bit smaller than Limax cinereoniger, thats found in Europe, which gets to 30cm
A.columbianus are found in the Pacific Northwest, so would be in Oregon, Im not sure about Alasaka though?

shammer4life said:
I live in michigan and i just caught a 6-8" slug, its leopard spotted. No idea what kind it is or if i could ship it... but i got them all over my yard!!!
Its probably a Limax maximus, or Leopard Slug, I think they're called "Tiger Slugs" in the US, but im not sure? ive seen them be refered to as this before. They get to around 20cm, and are fairly easy to care for, they eat smaller slugs (and will also attack other leopard slugs) they'll also eat mushroom's, they refuse a lot of the foods that other slugs will eat (lettuce, cucumber etc) so its worth offering them lots of different vegetables and fruits to see what they prefer.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
beetleman said:
MMMM! ME WANT SOME!:drool::worship: :D
lol....i bet you do.

I kept bannana slugs for a long time, two, for about a year or more. they are TOO much fun{D i fed mine strawberries every now and then, they are total gluttons, and get about 6-8" tops, HUGE boys. i'm in northern california, and they are in the mountains, the "wetter" part of them that is. Near creeks usually,they love mushrooms though.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i had some awhile ago,they died off(too hot where i'm from florida) i have other kinds of slugs they are doing great,i just got a small wine cooler so now i can keep banana slugs with no problem!i'm ready for somemore baby!:D :razz:

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
I want pancake slugs.... Are they legal in the US? If they are does anyone know where to get them?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, those are cool also,there are some of those ssp. native to the US,google search "pancake slugs" you should find some info:D hope this helps ya

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there is a ssp. in fla. called the "florida leather leaf" try that. not a big ssp. but still pretty cool.

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Awww I didnt even know about that one... It looks just like a pancake slug too... I also cant find anything on it... All the animals I like are illegal or impossible to find. I'll look around more later I guess.. I need some food. If anyone knows anyone who sells either of these let me know.
thanx

darkness

Arachnopeon
im not trying to start a fight here but the book I have says its illegell to have giant slugs in the U.S.. But i may be mistaken.

THANKS
DARKNESS

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
well....Giant snails are illegal.. But one of the biggest slugs there are is native to the US... so I don't really see how that makes sense... I don't know... I hope not.. everyother animal I want is already illegal.. Just let me have atleast one thing.... :(

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as far as i know all the slugs in the US are not illegal to get,from the other side? i believe they are illegal to get.