Giant pill bugs

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. I have found a store that are getting in giant pill bugs. They got them in today but they came in dead so I'm waiting for the next batch. They were the size of a golf ball but they stunk. Have anyone bread them before. I herd it never been bread in captivity but I'm not sure. I want to know if anyone has them and the habbitat the live in. If you know a website that sells them please post the site. Please post pictures/Dead or Alive. Can I keep the giant pill bugs with my other millipedes?

From
Eric

February 24, 2004
9:07

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have four of these. It is to early to tell if I will have any luck.

mmmmm.. wood for dinner again!!

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You don't....most of the time. These four came from California Reptile...I think. They do not sell retail. I had a freind who has a pet shop order them. He ordered 6 and two came DOA.

All four are now walking around. I might have to install an out house....these guys make allot of #$@%!!

Bob

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
looking good Bob,... ;)

they don't seem to have spots or whatsoever,.... so
keep them healthy buddy :D

birdmanson

Arachnopeon
They are so cool, those pillbugs! Awesome animals! Are they difficul to keep?

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by birdmanson
Are they difficul to keep?
So hard that, to date, they've suffered 100% mortality within a short period of time in captivity.

Read more >here<.

EDITED: Link now correct

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
So hard that, to date, they've suffered 100% mortality within a short period of time in captivity.
correct,... only i wouldn't say 100%
there have been cases of european hobbyist that even have bred them,.. i'm not one of them,.. sorry :(

but still not a pet-bug that i would recommend !

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

• WRIGHT, K. (2002): An approach to acclimating madagascan pill millipedes Sphaerotium sp. Reptilian, Insecta and Arachnida 6(7): 60-63.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anyone have a copy of that article Martin?

I was not going to post the fact I am trying these. I knew if would stir thing up things on the forums. The fact is I knew the pet shop would kill them. I will at least give it a good try. I keep them at 60 - 65 degree F. I put them in a window yesterday so they could get some warm sunlight. The uncurled and moved to the shade but then again maybe they do not like light. I checked them this morning and all four were curled up again but all in different places. They seem to be in good health so far. I still can not sex them. Steven said something about sexing them when they are still curled up. The rear legs of two I checked have no "claws" for mating. Then again, maybe this come in at last molt.

Also.....are the eggs layed in their "poop"????

I would love any info from the boards.......this thread is actualy in the wrong forum......................................

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh...I am kind of new to millipedes:

You can see in the photos above that the water dish has a disolved calcium pill thrown in. Would it be better to just add some calcium powder to some of the wood?
I have not seen them go to the water dish yet.

Bob

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing that is suposed to work keeping them alive is mashed peas, I have also heard of success with lichen. As for calcium, sprinkling it on the wood might work, but a piece of cuttlebone might be better? Could have sworn I read that somewhere...

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice pictures bob. I cant wait till the store get them in.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be sure and look at their color. I would not buy them if they have black spots on them. If they are not feed properly in captive care or kept to warm they will not eat and slowly starve to death. I am not sure why they turn black but mine seem to be healthy and are solid green.......so far.
I would not buy them if you do not have access to well rotted hard wood.....not fir. Most wood in Oregon is fir so it is a challage.

They are also VERY shy. I don't pick them up at all. Maybe some are dieing of stress...who knows.

Bob

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know any websites I could order them on? what foods do they eat other than wood?

From
Eric

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard they are extremely hard to keep alive in captivity. How long have you had yours?
Steve

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have only had them three weeks. They are like the Giant African blacks in that they "crap up a storm". I wonder if they could contain eggs.........
They seem to be only eating the back side of some bark and leaving the rotted wood alone . I find different types of rotted wood a few times a week along the river next to where I work.
I think they are mosly eatting the substraight. I keep them on a garden soil called "black Gold". It is full of compost etc, and mist them twice a day and keep them in the coolist room in the house.

The entire substraight is getting covered with little craps though..........not sure if I should just leave it there or not. They are in a different sleeping spot every morning so I know they are walking around at night.

Bob

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking that these guys might be eating the fungus etc. that grows in and on the wood and in the substrate and not so much the wood itself.

Saaay...anybody notice this is in the wrong forum? ;P

Wade

Last edited: