GBB enclosure, conflicting advice.

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

Ok so i have a sling under an inch. (Green Bottle Blue, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)

I'm setting up a new little enclosure. But have been experiencing conflicting advice.
Some books say they like it bone dry, adults and slings. With plenty of ventilation.

Some say have damp sub with regular misting.

I don't want to harm the poor little fella with the wrong set up. And i was concerned
about having dry sub if that means humidity would be low and i'd have moulting problems
on my hands.

Any advice? People keeping these slings?

Dry Sub or Damp?

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 4 slings which I have been keeping for a few months now. I keep them in small enclosures that I don't mist or keep a water dish, instead I use a small dropper and drop a few drops once a week and let the ts drink off that.. So far haven't lost one and they eat every well.. Hope this info helps..

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Hey Joe, Yeah. Thats an idea man. I like that. Never considered a little droplet device :) what ever you call them squeeze things.

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
=] I guess they are just called droppers.. But glad I can help...

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While GBBs do like it dryer, I'd recommend keeping it a little more moist for a sling. Generally, for my dryer Ts I like to spray half of the substrate until it's damp and then let it dry out before I repeat the process. It all depends on the ambient conditions and amount of ventilation though.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I kept my slings dry, mist the web once a week for hydration. I use something like a card to cover the sling while misting, they don't appreciate getting wet. ;)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I keep mine dry as well, it's around 2" now. I have kept it dry since it was a sling, and just misted a small portion of the webbing/enclosure once a week.

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Feel allot happier now, I took the lil tike out of the "pet store" recommended damp sub.

And put the T in a glass jar with holes punched in the lid. Dry Coco sub a plastic leaf, a
couple of rocks for webbing anchors. Happy Days :D

So a few droplets of water is enough for hydration?

Shell

Staff member
So a few droplets of water is enough for hydration?
Yes, just add a bit to part of the webbing weekly. They get most of their hydration from their food and quite honestly even though I have always watered my GBB this way, I have never seen it drink the way I have seen other slings, that get watered in a similar fashion.

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Yes, just add a bit to part of the webbing weekly. They get most of their hydration from their food and quite honestly even though I have always watered my GBB this way, I have never seen it drink the way I have seen other slings, that get watered in a similar fashion.
Thanks Shell,

Give me a horse, I'll be A OK.

Give me a lil sling the same of my nail. Im Freaking out.

Just loving the whole experience of this long journey. T No 2, and counting. :D thanks all

Shell

Staff member
Thanks Shell,

Give me a horse, I'll be A OK.

Give me a lil sling the same of my nail. Im Freaking out.

Just loving the whole experience of this long journey. T No 2, and counting. :D thanks all
No problem :) I am a horse person myself, before you know it though you will also have no problems with slings.

Rada

Arachnopeon
I kept my slings dry, mist the web once a week for hydration. I use something like a card to cover the sling while misting, they don't appreciate getting wet. ;)
+1 I did the same thing and 9 months later they're all mature (power feeding). I started the keep their enclosure bone dry around the same time they started to get their colors.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
If your real concerned about them drinking ok then what I do is take a very small water dish (bottle cap) and flip it upside down, press it into the substrate so that the flat side is almost level with the substrate then drop a few drops of water on it. They will get up there and drink it plus it will last longer since plastic does not absorb water and it will last a bit longer in case the T wants to drink later rather than sooner. Sorry for the run-on sentences, typing and watching for my delivery of slings due this morning.