New member of the family! Sweet little Chinchilla

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to introduce Bongo the Chinchilla, the latest member to join my (already large) family. Bo is about 5 months old and is extra light beige(would love to get a homozygous black one in the future for a cage mate). He a real sweetie. Just got him Saturday after spending the week setting up a nice house for him. I've always wanted a chinchilla since I was younger(though this goes with most animals I see...) and now we finally have one. So far he's been real good. Its great to watch when he takes a dust bath, pretty funny little creatures they are. As far as the care goes, they aren't too bad at all. I'd say pretty close to caring for a dog, perhaps a bit more demanding in some areas, but not far off.

Anyone else here a chin owner?

Bongo's Home:

Bongo on the trip home (looking evil and clearly plotting the world's destruction):

My fiance holding Bo:

And for fun, the rest of the family(excluding inverts and the anole):

Me and my girls on vaca:

Silverrose

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your new furry addition! I love chinchillas and am absolutely addicted to them. I have been a chinchilla owner for many years now, and have bred and been in the chinchilla showing circuit in the past. I now currently have 3 wonderful chin boys that are just spoiled rotten. If you aren't a member already, I highly recommend the forum, http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/. I know and have met many of the forum members on there, breeders and regular pet owners. It's a great place for advice and to meet new people who love these little guys as much as you do. But from your pics, it seems you are off to a great start and your little one is going to be one happy baby! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, or if you want to see pics ;)

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on your new furry addition! I love chinchillas and am absolutely addicted to them. I have been a chinchilla owner for many years now, and have bred and been in the chinchilla showing circuit in the past. I now currently have 3 wonderful chin boys that are just spoiled rotten. If you aren't a member already, I highly recommend the forum, http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/. I know and have met many of the forum members on there, breeders and regular pet owners. It's a great place for advice and to meet new people who love these little guys as much as you do. But from your pics, it seems you are off to a great start and your little one is going to be one happy baby! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, or if you want to see pics ;)
Thanks! Chin-n-hedgies is where I got all my information so far, my fiance and I are under the name ChinWishes though we have yet to post(I tend to lurk). I'll definitely have to PM you about the showing circuit, my fiance was interested in showing our guy and the breeder we got him from(Tom with Linglestown Chins... if you know him, we are on the East Coast after all) said his father(which was one of the breeders favorite chins) has won many awards and that he is much like his father in temperament.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
congrats...chinchillas are awesome..i have owned a few...they are sooo gentle...

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
congrats...chinchillas are awesome..i have owned a few...they are sooo gentle...
I know, I was just thinking that the other day! I've dealt with many small mammals over my life and I've never known any as gentle as this little guy.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Congrats :) Chinchillas are great, I had one for years, he was a fun little guy.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
Dumb question, but can they be trained? U did say they are like dogs in some respects..

JuliaGulia87

Arachnopeon
Awww! Oh my goodness all of your critters look so cuddly! Especially your new baby and the big black and white dog haha.