weird mantis?

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi all i got a Hierodula parviceps and it has *shed* into its last..its developed wings and is about 9.5cm long..but i checked in the tank for the old skin..but it wasnt there!..the only explanation so far is that it ate it..but mantis are cannibals..why would it eat its shed skin? =D :? its really confusing and i wanted the skin as it turnt to adult...oh well..lets just hope i can tell wether its male or female..lol

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a nice mantis, don't think we have them in the US. Sexing it shouldn't be too hard. :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
were there crickets left in the tank ???,...
cause i had cases where crickets ate the old skin,...

crickets shouldn't be in the tank when the mantis is gonna molt but sometimes the mantis surprises me with molting :rolleyes: :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's not much to mantid exuvia, it might look like a dried bit of grass or something and be overlooked. They're nothing like tarantula's molted exoskeleton which is much more obvious.

Wade

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thanx ill look for some *grass* lol but yes there were crickets in the tank..i didnt knowe it was coming up for a shed..i bought it about a month ago..a little less so i didnt know when it was gonna shed..:confused:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mantids live fast. Most species go from less than half an inch to adulthood in a matter of months. This means frequent molts. One of the more difficult aspects of keeping them is keeping anything from interfearing with molts. Live feeders can kill a molting mantid, but mantids also need alot to eat. Makes it kinda tricky!

Wade

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok i found a *skin* lol i pulled out the fake plant and on the botton was the thingys..:p lol ..ahh the boxer arms..wotever and about 1 whole leg..and 2 or 3 half ones..thats about it..the rest are probably buied or have been eaten..so i just threw it away..oh well..my mum said no more tarantulas but i can get a few more mantids