amel snake

jungalist86

Arachnopeon
hi i no you all proberly get tired of these sort of questions but ya no ,ive been keeping tarantulas for years and have a fair amount of knowledge about them but snakes is the unknown to me,so the girlfriend decided if im allowed my spiders she wants a snake which i thinks great as i have always admired them,but ive been finding it hard to find any research on them(im in england)so i thought id ask the people who know!the amel snake has stood out to me,is this a bad choice ,would you reccomend anything else, are these good snakes for a first time keeper?are they calm?easy to care for?how big do they get i was under the impression these dont get to big about 6ft maybe?and not to fat?i mean ive got the basic idea on care but anything exrta would be great and anything you feel neccisary to inform me of really,any replies would be apreciated thanks

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Though I've only had my first snakes for about a month, I've been researching them for a good couple years. By an amel snake, do you mean an amelanistic corn snake? Amel is short for amelanistic, a color form which lacks pigments or melanins, AKA albino. If you do mean a corn snake, they're pretty much as begginner as you can get IMO. I got my amel a couple weeks ago and the thing is dead easy to care for. It's about 16 inches now, and has a 10 gal, 2 hides, water bowl, 30 watt heat lamp and a heat pad I turn on during cold days. As adults I've heard most corn snakes can be kept in a 20 gallon, though the larger ones (4-6 ft) might need a 30 gal. From what I've read a 6 foot long corn is exceptionally large. Mine is pretty active at night, especially after digesting. It's bit me a couple times, but neonates are supposivly pretty nippy. The bites feel exactlly like the rough side of velcro to me, but I'm sure a bigger snake would cause a little more pain.

jungalist86

Arachnopeon
yes sorry i mean the amel corn snake,like i said its all new but i wouldnt be rushing out and buying one 2morow lol,thanks very much for your help , so in your opinion a corn snake is the way to go?is there any good books you could reccomend,i mean in tarantula care you have the tarantulas keepers guide which is pretty much perfect on knowledge,i dont no what book you snake keepers would reccomend?thanks