New Article: Staggering Impact of Frog Leg Trade; 1 Billion+ Frogs Killed in USA

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

lizardminion

Arachnolord

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Ryan,

Herps and inverts get far less attention and support than large mammals and birds, unfortunately. The Asian Turtle Crisis is gaining some recognition, and efforts are helped by the fact that gen public "likes" turtles and that they are important for reasons other than food in some cultures, and to Buddists. What's now called the Disappearing Amphib Crisis is also getting coverage via regular channels; however, when I posted this article on various frog interest websites, even well-experienced people were largely unaware that species other than Am Bullfrogs were being harvested.

Inverts, with few exceptions, always get the short end of the conservation stick; but some bright spots. You might enjoy this article on Stag Beetle Conservation/Care:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...ervation-with-notes-on-keeping-large-beetles/

Hope you had a good holiday, Frank

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Frog leg fanciers never seem to notice that people who can breed "bugs" can feed frogs.
Nor do they ever seem to be aware that the water frogs ferilize can be integrated into organic farming operations.

What are we all waiting for...?

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good points, thanks. Fish and frog farming is sometimes integrated with rice production in China and elsewhere in east Asia, but not as commonly as it could be, I believe. Best, Frank

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Those frog leg fanciers can come out west and take as many bullfrogs(Rana catesbeiana) as they can. Habitat/eco restoration folks and those working with native amphibs can't seem to cull them fast enough. I suppose I could fire up the BBQ and do my part.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Frog leg fanciers seldom live anywhere near to the bullfrogs out West:
They don't know where they are.
And the people who "try" to "cull" them now need information on who do want these animals...

The frog buyers who already exist might work something out.

If they know who to talk to...

It may be high time to get the word out.