Crested Gecko substate.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am going to be gettin two baby crested Geckos that I am rescuing, I have been doing alot of research on substrates, I will be usings ego earth I heard that this can cause impacting, I was wondering if anybody uses eco earth but puts papertowels on top so this doesnt happen. Will this be o.k or should I use something else?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have never owned crested, but have owned others...your best bet would be to keep them on straight paper towel....it is the safest method....even my adult leopard i keep on paper towel.....i am currently going to change it out to peel and stick tiles, just havent gotten to it yet....my adult arboreals i keep with no substrate..plenty of vines and a large hide, large water dish....

TMRKD

Arachnosquire
As babies I would keep them on paper towel and as they grow change them over to coco fibre(eco-earth).

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
paper towel from hatchling to adult.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use paper towels as babies (until I am sure they are eating/ defecating) and switch to a coco fiber/ soil mix for older babies through adult. I believe the De Vosjoli books give a mix for naturalistic vivaria, and mine is based on that, modified for what I currently have on hand. If you feed Repashy CGD in cups there should be no reason for them to intake substrate.