new fish!

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Hi all, here is my newly acquired Monocirrhus Polyacanthus. Been looking for one for ages! Finally got it and so happy :D. It is a true predator!
Beautiful camouflague!
005.JPG
Tiny transparent fins that help to propel the fish stealthily in order to swallow its prey in 1 mouthful without it noticing, predator, no?
006.JPG
Perhaps a 'lure' for a curious fish to inspect, unknowingly swimming into its own doom.
001.JPG
002.JPG
Her fin has golden speckles that are not very obvious in this photo, but it is truly beautiful under my fake fluorescent ligthings :D.
007.JPG
Sorry! Some pics are a bit blurry and dark, im not good shooting fishes :8o
Nonetheless, please enjoy :).

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Very interesting fish, I've never seen one like that before. Is it a brackish or a blackwater fish? What sort of tankmates does it have? Very cool!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful! I used to keep Ctenopoma which are very similar. Some days I really miss my fish.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Thanks guys. The reason it looks like a leaf is because its a leaf fish :D. It floats very gently with the current and strikes very fast at prey, an ambush predator. It is purely freshwater and i have no tank mates with it. Youtube has a few videos on this fish, check those out, its really beautiful :).

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Thanks. It just ate a molly/platy/whatever that red fish is called but i couldnt snap a photo, too fast.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, I like unusual freshwater fish, it has a J. Leno look to it. I think the strangest I've tried to keep was the Violet Goby (Gobioides broussonetti), never saw it eat anything.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Haha it does have the J Leno look! Yes Gobioides Broussonetti is not very easy, i had one but it died after a few months. Another unusual freshwater fish i kept is the Hepsetus Odoe(african pikefish). Another beautiful predator, i had to sell it off as it outgrew its tank though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you like the look of Pikes, the little Chain Pickerel ....no wait, I meant Grass Pickerel(Esox americanus vermiculatus), it's a nice looking if you haven't had one, it's a good little predator. I would catch them on flood plain here in Texas with a net in the summer, haven't kept one in a long time. The ones I kept never got over 6 inches. They kind of hang out around the surface though, kind of like a gar. Not much you can keep with it though unless it's just about as big as it is.

Last edited:

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Ah those are nice pikes! I may get one of those. There are quite a few predatory fishes that could make a nice commute with those, i think peacock basses could go well. Or any Channa species that dont go as big as a micropeltes are quite good tankmates too. Channa Micropeltes are the worst...But they are beautiful!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice. I've wanted one a while back too. You should use a video camera :)

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
verry nice my fav fish of all time. I use to own a bunch back in the day but being new imports it was always a battle with parasites... good luck!

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Thanks. I may get 2 more and see how it goes. I heard tey are very prone to a parasite that feeder guppies carry... Laying of those guppies.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Could frozen food be a safer option? It could be pricier than feeder fish, but could come with more peace of mind. Lot of "coulds" in this post. I hope you have lots of success with your fish and potential new additions!