Ball Python Housing

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
What are the dimensions and what size ball? I haven't had good luck with freestanding plastic tubs, even with locks; sterilite within a rack is more secure IME. I would just make sure there are no loose spots where the plastic can flex and the snake can slip out.

TMRKD

Arachnosquire
Don't have the dimensions but it's 50L I think, it would house a juvi. I also have a 35 or 40gal exoterra high, would it be too tall for it?
I'd put something on the top of the rubbermaid and two locks

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
I'm not too familiar with the dimensions of those exoterras, but in general for a ball I would favor floor space over ground space. That's my personal preference; they have been found in termite mounds in the wild so perhaps your 40H would serve for a juvie. I prefer 40 breeders: 36"L x 18"W x 18"H, but I have a much smaller collection now. Plus, I wouldn't count on objects placed on top of the enclosure. What I have found that works really well are taking camper straps for securing luggage to your car and using them to winch the lids down; I've never had a breakout using that method on my glass enclosures.

Last edited:

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think for ball pythons, the sterilite 40-41qt boxes work fine.

Size wise, i keep my male who's around 1500g in a 41qt with a big water dish and belly heat, and he's content.

you can build a nice water resistant rack out of shelving board *melamine* and use belly heat pretty easily for under 50$ if you wanted a few.

TMRKD

Arachnosquire
Just picked it up, got it in a rubbermaid with locking handles.