New P. Striata

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
Just got this new P. Striata today... Very active and gorgeous! the question is if any of you can tell me the sex :) It's only about 3.5-4" here is a pic!
photo (5).jpg photo (6).jpg

thanks a bunch! :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Looks like a male P. regalis to me. Sorry.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a male P. regalis to me. Sorry.
Actually, I might second that. This spider seems to have the ventral belt present on P. regalis, but absent on P. striata. My understanding is that this is a distinguishing feature between the two.

Either way, great looking spider... both species are awesome.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
I know it's a striata only from the fact that I know the seller and he home bred them himself and he wasn't breeding anything else at the time. I will look into what the band means though... interesting to raise the thought that it is a regalis. Kinda confused on this one :p

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could just be the lighting; there are people far more knowledgeable than me on pokies out there. Some clearer pictures without the flash may help.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
Agreed. Ill post some more when i re-house him in a few days :) thanks for the input though! check back in a few days when I get some more pics and see whatcha think

advan

oOOo
Staff member
"Sold as" is sometimes different than what it actually is. ;) Congrats on the new Poecilotheria. :D

3.5" Male Poecilotheria regalis

Attachments

advan

oOOo
Staff member
It could just be the lighting; there are people far more knowledgeable than me on pokies out there. Some clearer pictures without the flash may help.
I thought it was the lighting at first also but then look at the second picture with horrible lighting. The band is still there and you can see how the dark curves inbetween the lower book lungs into the cream band.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a regalis if anything. The belly band is diagnostic of regalis. However, if the seller is "positive" it was striata, you might have a hybrid on your hands. If he has a striata female, maybe he used a regalis male which would explain the band on yours. I'd ask for pics of the parents, personally.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
id say MALE as well, plus id 3rd the P. regalis.. looks just like mine and that band is EXCLUSIVE TO REGALIS