The owning of Fire Bellied Toads.

ArachnoConnor

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I would like to start off by apologising for creating yet another thread in this forum but due to financial problems my dad cannot afford to buy me my Beardie and setup so I need to buy a cheaper pet for myself.

I had been looking at Fire Bellied Toads before and I was wondering if the information on the Exotic-Pets website was correct? (link here): http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/fire-bellied-toad.html

I have some questions to add:
  • Do they require a UV light?
  • Is it best to keep them on their own or can they be kept in a group?
  • How often will they mate and when should they be seperated from the parents?

Thanks for any replies and yet again I do apologise for forming another thread.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your information is correct;but it is incomplete.
Since such materials as "moss" and "compost" tend to disintegrate wherever they contact water information should combine "How to separate "land" from "water"
with workable instructions for keeping them clean.

Firebellies can fertilize both water and compost.
I've rinsed "used" filters to get fertilized water for immature tomatoes in the summer and for houseplants in winter.

Since fertilized compost can be combined with materials whose initial nitrogen content is too low it can improve compostability in such items as sawdust,wood
chips,woody weedstems,and broken-up brush.

A gardening neighbor might be glad to know-
you might even be able to trade enhanced composting materials for organic vegetables or a redworm start for a possibly indoor composter that can be built from
scrounged materials and fed for free.

Redworms do not need a UV light.
Firebellies do not need one either.
But firebellies do require open water when they are ready to breed...shortly after a male begins to vocalise a potential breeding pair should have
at least a 5-gal tank and a breeding group should have at least 10 gallons' worth of water...they may lay more than one clutch overnight.

The adults should be moved as soon as eggs are laid.
Eggs do need protection from physical disturbances in a confined space.

Tadpoles need protection from being eaten.
They also need protection from fouling waters and from improperly shielded water filters,which can kill entrapped tadpoles.

And tadpoles will need more room than you think because they may drown if they cannot find an easily ascended "land" area when their lungs mature.
They must NOT become overcrowded when they get there because aquarium filters won't work on land.

I found that out the hard way.

I hope that you will do much better.

Good luck!!!

Yours very truly,

Louise Esther Rothstein.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The owning of Fire Bel;ied Toads

Although your first website is fine for one or two pets the second is so much better for breeding them that I wish that I could have had it because I can now see that my unfiltered "land" area was a mistake because either a bacterial or fungal buildup must have happened.

My froglets might have made it if they could have made "landfall" upon sturdy waterleaves-or upon equivalent support-set between shielded corner filters where their "land" might have been "dunked"-and washed-without having to change anything except the filters.

You are fortunate to know this now.
And I can report further facts: Although a bank of new aquariums can be expensive aquarium sealant,old-fashioned elbow grease,and perhaps a glass cutter can either restore leaking aquariums to service or assemble new ones that will cost an awful lot less than it would have cost to buy everything brand new-and already assembled.

Please check it out.

Good luck!!!

Yours very truly,

Louise Esther Rothstein.