Ksb shed

Andrew140932

Arachnopeon
I have a Kenyan sand boa that is shedding should I bathe it to help shedding and how should I bathe

TreeGuy

Arachnopeon
Let it shed on it's own. Best bet would be to give it a hide box with some damn moss.
If the shed comes off in one piece, all is well.
If it comes off in multiple pieces and some stays stuck on the snake, you'll need to give it a short soak and manually remove the stuck pieces.

To soak it simply put the snake in a container with a little bit of warm water, just enough that the snake can still get it's head above water.
Leave the snake in the water for about an hour (check periodically on it) and then ease the stuck shed off with your hands. Be gentle.

Any other questions feel free to PM

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a common problem people face with KSB's especially when kept on sand substrate. The KSB's range in the wild is usually in semi-arid scrubland, savannahs, and forested areas and NOT in the open sand desert which is why the name is a bit of a misnomer and it is best to keep them in a soil/sand mixture as it aids in retaining water and also helps maintain their burrow integrity. They typically are atleast around some water source or can burrow to a depth that retains moisture in the substrate in the wild therefore regulating their own humidity needs. You may have noticed as with mine that they like to hang around under the water dish, or have a tunnel under it because from crawling in and out water spills out and it usually tends to be a little more wet underneath. In captivity you can simply wet one small side of the enclosure and as with thermoregulation it will go where it feels its needs are best met. Using a hide with damp moss is great when we are talking about reptiles that are not mainly fossorial but wetting one side of the enclosure will do just fine. Also Most KSB's do not typically shed out in one nice piece anyway but this way will atleast make it easier for him if there is a problem. Hope it helps