RED ALERT: Stop Federal Python BAN!

EricRoscoe2

Arachnopeon
RED ALERT: Stop Federal Python BAN!
This is the final push in the BIG FIGHT to stop the Boa and Python BAN! This BIG FIGHT has been 4 years in the making (since 2008) ... Help USARK put the Python Ban to rest in 2012! Please participate and help the Reptile Nation overcome the most devistating attack the Herp Community has ever faced!! Please read and follow the instructions to ensure your voice is heard by President Obama, the US Congress and the US Senate.

US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) has a proposed rule being considered by the White House Office of Management & Budget (OMB). This is the final stage of the rule making process. This rule, if enacted, would ban the import and interstate transport of nine constricting snakes; Burmese python, Northern & Southern African pythons, Reticulated python, all four Anacondas, and Boa constrictor. This rule has been called the "Constrictor Rule". All of these constrictors would be added to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. If this were to happen more than 1 million American citizens could be subject to felony prosecution under the Lacey Act. It is the job of OMB to weigh the purported benefits of the rule against the economic impacts. It is also their duty to assure the rule has been given due process under the Administrative Procedures Act, Information Quality Act and all pertinent Executive Orders. USARK has created a clear public record that FWS has failed at every level to make their case for this rule. According to emails obtained by USARK it appears that staff at FWS colluded with staff at the US Geological Survey (USGS) to manufacture "science" to support this rule making after the decision had already been made to pursue a Lacey Act listing. Further, FWS grossly underestimated the economic impact. USGS has justified their flawed "science" by saying they were not required to adhere to information quality standards for science used to support the rule because the rule did not meet the standard for a major rule making ($100 million). An economic assessment of the Modern Reptile Industry commissioned by USARK, and done by Georgetown Economic Services, has since debunked USGS claims by asserting that the rule could have impact in excess of $103 million. USARK believes the actions of FWS and USGS in regards to the Constrictor Rule are arbitrary, capricious and potentially unlawful.

Please send the letter below to President Obama and your Senators and Congressmen to let them know you are aware of the actions of FWS and the negative impact on you, your family and business. Just follow the simple instructions.

Do it now and share with all your friends, family, social networks, forums and email lists! This is your chance to make a difference and help USARK set a positive precedent for our industry.
united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/5799/no-on-fws-python-rule-bad-american-small-business-families-alread/

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't.
Alarmists exaggerate.
Most of the "20 foot snakes" "all over Florida" didn't actually exist for the sufficient reason that our first hard winter killed most of the tropical snakes out there before most of them grew anywhere near to 20 feet long.

The possible exceptions survive in the southern tip of Florida,where they will probably continue to scare some people until more pragmatic people notice that a concentration of really big snakes offers locally profitable hunting,an exotic meat,and beautiful leather.

It is not a national emergency.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tell that to the idiots that just passed the ban here in ohio.
I don't.
Alarmists exaggerate.
Most of the "20 foot snakes" "all over Florida" didn't actually exist for the sufficient reason that our first hard winter killed most of the tropical snakes out there before most of them grew anywhere near to 20 feet long.

The possible exceptions survive in the southern tip of Florida,where they will probably continue to scare some people until more pragmatic people notice that a concentration of really big snakes offers locally profitable hunting,an exotic meat,and beautiful leather.

It is not a national emergency.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm for the ban, as a former Floridian. From what I heard, it passed, but likely won't help because it took too long.

katgrogan

Arachnopeon
What does someone in New York who wants to move to Colorado have to do with the snakes in the Everglades? Almost every last burm found has been tested and found to be related to the rest, they almost all came from the hurricane that wiped out that facility years ago. This bill won't make the burms go away, and if anything more people will abandon their snakes for fear of persecution now. The animals that are found in the glades are from breeding. If this bill was passed five years ago there would be just as many burms today anyway.

Instead, several of my friends who's families rely on their businesses are now having to find new work and have lost thousands upon thousands in investments. People up north who have NO DANGER of their snakes escaping and living longer than a few days are under the same scrutiny of those in an area where if the snake escaped it COULD live. The bill doesn't make sense for people outside of florida at all.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think this should be a state, not federal issue.

How about US genuine python leather?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
My local career politician, Norm "pork barrel" Dicks says he's leading the charge on this. Supposedly there is a claim that with climate change, WA will be able to support burms by 2100.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:cry:

If that's the case, then we have much bigger problems to focus on, yeah? If he wants to tackle invasives maybe he could start with actual invaders like: zebra mussels, purple loosestrife, nutria, bullfrogs, grass carp, among others.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I think people just want to discriminate against things they know nothing about. Yes, people are stupid and release their massive snakes into the wild when they are tired of them or don't want to care for them any more, but why make every one suffer? idk. I don't think it's right. I get irritated when they put bans on animals. I mean I can totally understand a ban on TIGERS lol but a snake? I don't know. I thought they were going to put a ban on pit bulls here in California at one point. Luckily they haven't..yet...that I know of. It's just a bunch of discrimination in my eyes.

Careless owners are to blame not the animal. If they did put a ban on Pythons it may help but it may not. They put a ban on Ferrets here in California...People still own them here...They even sell Ferret products at the pet stores. Sooo I mean...Whether or not they put the ban, I believe they pythons and boas will still be around in the pet trade...just secretly. lol

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I own Python's... but I do agree with the bill.
And when all these owners arent around to help you out when they decide to come after your pythons shouldnt hear you cry about it....

I'm sure its only a matter of time before they decide to try and ban deadly tarantulas and scorpions as well... why should anyone keep them as pets? they are gross bugs right?

---------- Post added 01-17-2012 at 10:02 PM ----------

I think this should be a state, not federal issue.

How about US genuine python leather?
Sure the HSUS and PETA wouldnt have anything to do with that and since they sponser this garbage. They couldnt possibly go that route.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If he wants to tackle invasives maybe he could start with actual invaders like: zebra mussels, purple loosestrife, nutria, bullfrogs, grass carp, among others.
I realize the population may be exaggerated, but is there any doubt that Burms have become established in FL? You raise a good point though in that there are numerous examples of well established invaders that are capable of having more catastrophic impact on ecosystems than Burms. I guess zebra mussels and purple loosetrife just aren't sexy enough for media attention.

On a different note, if you want to see a REAL freak out, wait and see what happens if the brown tree snake becomes established on the Hawaiian islands.

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Shrike: That might only be a matter of time. Puzzling why they are still risking shipments of stuff from Guam to Hawaii.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shrike: That might only be a matter of time. Puzzling why they are still risking shipments of stuff from Guam to Hawaii.
Lets hope not! Burms in the Everglades would really pale in comparison.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreeing with this ensures fractures in the reptile community.

I know once retics are illegal I wont care to keep snakes anymore. So youll lose one person fighting for all snakes right now.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is a bad bill, based on bad science. Although I have no trouble with some sort of regulation of these big snakes, this is not the way to go about it. Additionally this should not be a federal matter but should be left to individual states.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will admit that I DO NOT keep snakes atm, but banning something out right to me just makes it even more of a temptation to own one. as it stands there are already plenty of people who keep venomous snakes who are either unliscensed or where they are out right banned. Personally I feel that instead of a ban maybe a process to get licensed so that you can prove that you know how to and will be able to take care of the animal properly, would be more appropriate. Ive heard that some european contries do similar systems to what I just suggested.

now that said I do think that some animals just get to big to be maintained properly by a hobbiest unless they are literally willing to dedicate a whole room to just one animal (not normally practical). I know that there are some fish that are common in the aquarium trade that you just can't practically keep without huge amounts of space such as pacu, wells catfish, redtailed catfish, just to name a few of the known "tank busters". Now these animals really cant be practically kept by the average hobbiest (can't really tell you how many times ive seen pacu for sale at chain stores like petco and petsmart).

just my 2 cents as someone looking from the outside