PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch female Poecilotheria rufilata: Anybody Else Seen This Behavior?

MrCrackerpants
01-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a 8 inch female Poecilotheria rufilata. For the last 24 hours she has been hanging upside down on the enclosure glass with her first legs at the substrate level. The tip of her right first leg is on the top of a adult female Madagascar hissing cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) and has been for the last 24 hours. Both animals are alive and healthy. Anybody else seen this behavior?

grayzone
01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
aww... did somebody make a friend? lol... i had a cricket land on my old female A. genic's abdomen once and she was eating the other 4 crix for like 2 hours with this lil guy on her back. eventually she got tired of playin taxi and got him too, but i thought it was strange she tolerated it so long.

MrCrackerpants
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
aww... did somebody make a friend? lol...

lol lol lol lol lol

1hughjazzspider
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I have no idea why she's got her leg on the roach other than she's probably not hungry. But if she's all stretched out and one leg is on the ceiling of her enclosure while another is touching the substrate, are you sure you have a big enough enclosure to house her in?

billopelma
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Probably a standoff, whoever moves first loses. Dubia are the real masters for that, they'll stay motionless for days or even weeks, whatever it takes. Try making the hisser move, poke it by way of a vent hole or maybe drip water on it.

Bill

jbm150
01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
^Exactly. Both are creatures of patience, that roach breathes funny, it's d-e-d dead!

MrCrackerpants
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I have no idea why she's got her leg on the roach other than she's probably not hungry. But if she's all stretched out and one leg is on the ceiling of her enclosure while another is touching the substrate, are you sure you have a big enough enclosure to house her in?

No, she has 10 inches above her until the lid. It is a 12 X 12 X 18 enclosure.

---------- Post added 01-06-2012 at 09:44 PM ----------

Probably a standoff, whoever moves first loses. Dubia are the real masters for that, they'll stay motionless for days or even weeks, whatever it takes. Try making the hisser move, poke it by way of a vent hole or maybe drip water on it.

Bill

I'll go try that.

---------- Post added 01-06-2012 at 09:53 PM ----------

I sprayed the cockroach with water. It did not move much. It is acting like it may have been envenomed.

grayzone
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Bill yeah... thats most likely the case.

web eviction
01-07-2012, 01:30 AM
When my ornata was around 2 inches I would throw a cricket in and she would immediately run to the floor flip on her back and wait for it to walk over her then crunch it... I watch her do it four different times strangest thing I've seen.

MrCrackerpants
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
When my ornata was around 2 inches I would throw a cricket in and she would immediately run to the floor flip on her back and wait for it to walk over her then crunch it... I watch her do it four different times strangest thing I've seen.

WOW!! Now THAT is bizarre and something I would have liked to see.