Sick or injured WC Newt?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To make a long story short, got an Eastern Newt adult from a pet store that was WC with 6 others they were stressed, kept warm, in dirty water, were starved too. I hated the fact they were caught in my area (they are native here), neglected, and now needed my help all due to someone not leaving them in the wild!

The other 6 are doing very well now after some TLC, this one individual is making slow progress.

The newt is thin from being starved, and is weak the other newts were competition for food, but the newt does eat a little each day and is able to swim and climb.

I have seperated him/her from the rest in its own tank and put in enough water just to cover the newts body, and a large flat rock in case he/she wants to get out of the water. It's weak so the less strenuous activity the better so it can rest and get strong.

I noticed a bump or what might be a small cut near the back, I am not sure what it is?

I have been using treated dechlorinated water which also contains electrolytes and helps re-build slime coat, and the newt actually is better than when I first got him/her, on the bottle it says safe for freshwater fish and aquatic amphibians. With rest, clean water, and me knowing the newt is eating without fighting for food, what else can I do to get him/her healthy quicker?

Anything at a pet store to help, or anything like calcium on the food needed? He/she is eating frozen bloodworms,blackworms,ox heart, and brine shrimp. It takes it a while to swallow, but eventually the food goes down and stays down.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

Unfortunately when they are kept like that, parasites/bacterial infections are common; eating w/o gaining weight can indicate parasites, but no way to tell w/o a vet exam. Same re lump...if skin was torn at some point, infections are likely. Let me know if you need help in locating a vet; otherwise, continue with varies diet, esp. blackworms; offer reptomin as well, aditional nutrients there. Watch rock, as their skin abrades easily....microscopic tears quickly become infected. Cork bark, plastic turtle ramps safer. Try deeper water as strength improves, shallow may be stressful; or add some plastic plants to shallow water, for cover. Unless the law has changed recently, it is illegal to sell any native species in NYS; you may wish to contact the Dept. of Environmental Conservation.

Perhaps this article of mine will be of interest:, http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...ubspecies-and-hybrids-of-a-poplar-pet-part-1/

Best, Frank

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried looking in another pet store for any parasite treatment for amphibians, nothing available.

I did find this emergency powder that is supposed to stimulate appetite, rehydrate, and give essential vitamins and protein to starving amphibians/reptiles, but the syringe is too large to feed the newt, would soaking the newt for a few minutes allow it to absorb some nutrients through its skin?

I would like to find a vet nearby, but honestly I don't think I can afford the bill I only have $10 to my name after spending my monthly check on everything else for these guys.

You can look anyway, I live in West Babyon, NY area code 11704

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sad to say this newt, and the other thin newt passed away I assume from starvation. I miss them but at least I gave them a week of kindness and less stress in there last days.