Cat or hedgehog

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
get a cat, you don't have to keep it in a cage and it buries its own poo- that's a win/win!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
def get a cat instead. A cat is more of a pet while a hedgehog is more of a curiosity imo, depends if you're after interaction(pet) or if you're after more fascination and wonderment. We don't really have a word for that kind of thing atm, imo. Or maybe a hedgehog would be a combo, lab animal/pet.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IF you need to ask how much both would cost, that means you didn't do your research, and if you did your research you'd realize hedchogs are more anal to keep then cats..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also, petting a hedgehog doesn't feel too good lol, they don't seem to like it, spines are for poking instead. I've messed around with them but never had one so, I don't know for sure. But I don't have one because I didn't like messing with the ones I've messed around with. It was like a spiny defensive gerbil, maybe I got the wrong impression though.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You need to weigh the pros and cons of ownership of each species before committing. How many years and how much money are you willing to commit to for either animal?
Hedgehog lifespan - 4 - 8 years
Feline lifespan - 15 - 20+ years
Look into health problems typically associated with each, and expenses associated with potential health problems.
Will either fit your lifestyle now and/or down the road?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At present, I don't think you should get either one.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a cat. They are entertaining and have all kinds of different personalities (depending on what type).
You can usually get one for free or go to a shelter and grab one !

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have never owned a hedgehog, but after reading how they are normally mean little guys, i decided not to. but you go with what you want. if you want a cat you can have your pick of the like 32 cats my mom has runnin around outside her house. (please take them all)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can usually get one for free or go to a shelter and grab one !
Ah, the proverbial 'free' cat...
Prices will vary dependent on the economic climate of your area. I'm in Northern VA where things tend to be sort of pricey.
Veterinary office call/exam - $50+
Feline Leukemia/Feline AIDS/Heartworm test - ~$70
Pre-anesthetic bloodwork - $55 - $180 - (dependent on which panel you and/or your veterinarian choose)
Spay/neuter - $100 - $500
Feline Distemper Vaccine - ~$30 (needs at least 2 spaced 3 - 4 weeks apart)
Rabies vaccine - ~$25
Feline Leukemia Vaccine - ~$30 (needs 2 spaced about 3 - 4 weeks apart)
Fecal test - ~$25 (to rule out intestinal parasites, many of which can be transmitted to people)
Deworming - $5 - $25 depending on if kitty just gets broad spectrum dewormer or needs something in addition (pending fecal test results)
Flea/Tick/heartworm prevention - $15 - $20 per month

Okay, that's roughly the first year. In most cases annual visits are a little cheaper since you're past the spay, initial viral testing, etc.

What if kitty gets sick, gets in a fight and develops an abscess, develops FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), swallows a foreign body and requires exploratory surgery, gets hit by a car, mauled by a dog, etc...?

Examples:
We had a foreign body in a cat a couple of weeks ago. Owners caught it early, it was an uncomplicated procedure, cat recovered quickly and we sent it home in under 3 days. Total bill was just under $2000. Complicated foreign bodies (string) that don't recover well and require multiple days of hospitalization can go to $5000 or more.

Abscess from cat fight: if small and caught early, may only run a hundred dollars-ish to treat. If requires surgical closure, or even multiple surgeries, can get to several hundred $ or more.

FLUTD - what if you get one of the unlucky 'free' cats that develops urinary tract issues and starts urinating all over the house... and requires medical workup... and meds... and possible surgery... $$$$$$

Free cat.....

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
If you're gonna get a hedgie, make sure to get a very calm one or a very young one. They have very different temperaments and you really have to make it an everyday effort to handle them especially when they're young so that they'll grow up very calm and nice. You definitely don't want one that balls up all the time at the slightest disturbance (they really have to get used to you). The spines aren't bad really, they feel like the bristles of a toilet scrubber if you've ever held (clean) one before (balled up). Otherwise, when they've calmed down, they lower their spines and you don't feel them anymore. They can be trained to a certain extent like pooping in a certain area or platter in their cage. They don't smell bad or to be more specific, their feces doesn't have a powerful odor nor does urine. Unlike hamsters or rats, hedgies relatively have no foul odor ime. Read up

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
cat, all 6 of ours are ex-strays, literally picked up off the streets, dont be persnickety about breed, then rabies shot, food water a bowl and a litter box is all they need. Post #10's example is a little dramatic (no offense FP).

Having and indoor/ outdoor cant vs and indoor cat makes a difference too, all of ours are indoor /outdoor, and one only uses the bathroom outside. The only real problems we have had are that one fell into a cactus so we had to wrap him up and pull out a hundred plus thorns out of the poor thing, and 2 have been hit by cars and they are both still with us today (one is a little crazy now, we honestly thought we were going to lose her). None of these problems saw a vet, we dont have that kind of money. But we can remedy most of the little things ourself's.

If you get a good healthy cat, you shouldn't really ever see any problems from them and you'll have their love and shenanigans there for you all the time. There is a cat hermitage outside of town here so there are always adoptions out and about. Just look about, shelters, ect, and if all else fails then petco/petsmart. They have cheaper adoption fees for older adult cats, higher for the kittens and there cats will be fixed already.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, cats have always been my favorite animals, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to just about anyone. They're adorable, affectionate, possess tons of personality, and are capable of cleaning up after themselves to a great degree. That makes them the ideal pet as far as furry things go, in my opinion. However, I myself have am fascinated by hedgehogs and have wanted one for about five years now. They seem like great little critters, but a bit more work (and less domesticated) than cats. To me, they seem like entirely different types of pets, so you may as well get both if you have the time and money to devote to them. I think both would be comparable in terms of cost, though a hedgie would require a little bit more attention... Also, since they aren't domesticated animals, they are more work to socialize, and you'd have to take the time to get the little ball of spikes used to you. Cats are more or less a no-brainer as long as you give them food, attention, toys and vet care, whereas hedgies demand a bit more research.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think if you decide to go with a cat, just look through your local newspaper. Im sure there will be plenty of ads with free kittens to give away.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think if you decide to go with a cat, just look through your local newspaper. Im sure there will be plenty of ads with free kittens to give away.
And then you should look up Formerphobe's post about "free" cats above haha. Mine was a stray but I got lucky because we have a vet in town that specialized in low cost veterinary work for low income family. Being a college student makes me low income. You can get around higher cost vet bills by finding a vet like mine or going to shot clinics and getting spay/neuters done with an organization like the SPCA (which I wouldn't recommend because they treat it like an assembly line). The absolute best thing to do IMHO when choosing a cat is to adopt one from someone is trying to find a home for that can provide all vet records. Most "free" cats won't come with proof of vet visits/shots unless those people are getting desperate to find a home for their pet.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The cat is free.
I've had several cats & never paid anything like that, nor would I. Initial vet exam (maybe spay & neuter) feline anemia vac.
Other than that ... Trouble free. I would not pay 2000$ on a pet that's ridiculous (well maybe my dog).

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our "free" Maine Coon costs us $80 after getting her guts yanked and having her vaccinated.Local spay/neuter clinics are pretty cheap for the most part.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Free is never free and Formerphobe's example is not unreasonable. Cat or dog or hamster or yeti...it doesn't matter. Taking responsibility for an animal's care is not a life necessity but it is a necessity to take care of the animal that you've assumed responsibility for. Afterall, the throw away pet mentality is the reason we have so damned many strays and "pet" shelters.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i see what you mean. but around here people never take cats to the vet.. not saying i personally wouldnt if there was something wrong. but i have had cats from birth, until they died of old age. and they never had any problems, and never seen a vet. they were all outside cats too.
And then you should look up Formerphobe's post about "free" cats above haha. Mine was a stray but I got lucky because we have a vet in town that specialized in low cost veterinary work for low income family. Being a college student makes me low income. You can get around higher cost vet bills by finding a vet like mine or going to shot clinics and getting spay/neuters done with an organization like the SPCA (which I wouldn't recommend because they treat it like an assembly line). The absolute best thing to do IMHO when choosing a cat is to adopt one from someone is trying to find a home for that can provide all vet records. Most "free" cats won't come with proof of vet visits/shots unless those people are getting desperate to find a home for their pet.