Ball Python

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Okay I am debating between getting a Blue Tongue Skink (which I have permission to get) or a Ball Python (I do not have permission to get..yet..) I've always loved snakes. I used to have garter snakes when I was really young. I did want a corn snake a while ago but I really love ball pythons. Whether or not my dad will let me have a snake "that big" in the house well, I dont know. I may have to get a corn snakey which is fine too. Anyways! What do you think? I know snakes are probably much easier to care for than a skink. Their diet isn't as varied. I just need to know the husbandry and stuff of the snake. I think I found a forum for that though. Feel free to PM me with information or websites.

Should I go for a BTS or a BP? This wouldn't happen for a couple months.

nics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know much about BTS so I would go for a BP. I am planning of getting one soon. I never owned a snake so this is gonna be my 1st.

Since I don't have much exp on snakes, I would go for a normal BP and then after sometime maybe get an albino.

If I would pick a corn snake, I would go for the blizzard morph. I love white snakes!

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
It's official. I am getting a ball python.

I love white snakes too. The white morph of BP's are expensive though. Not sure what they are called off the top of my head. I like the pinstripe, spider, and pastel ball pythons. They aren't too expensive. I love the lemonblast and bumblebee morphs as well but they are up there in price.

I can't wait to set everything up for it. Probably won't be getting it for a couple of months.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep i say ball python too. from what i have heard is most blue tongue skinks are mean. cant really comment though, never owned one. i did recently hold one, and he was very angry about it.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ball pythons don't even get that large (~4-5 feet) and are about as docile as you can get for a snake. Just be sure to get a CB animal. Do not buy anything from most pet stores. Most ball pythons at your typical local pet store are captive hatched or imported, and they can have feeding issues.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you should join a local snake forum. you would be able to find awesome deals there.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from what i have heard is most blue tongue skinks are mean. cant really comment though, never owned one. i did recently hold one, and he was very angry about it.
It depends on the species/subspecies of blue-tongue (and the individual of course). Northern and Eastern blue-tongues tend to be pretty mellow. The more commonly imported species, such as Irian-Jayas, aren't as docile. Between a skink and a ball python though, I think I'd get the snake too.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
awesome. also try faunaclassifieds. you will see ball pythons that will blow your mind.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's official. I am getting a ball python.

I love white snakes too. And also the band, White Snake. They're my favorite.
Nice! There's nothing like 80s hair metal. Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

You'll love ball pythons. They're a great pet snake. Will you go with a color morph? I've always been a fan of good old fashioned natural coloration, although the variety and price tag associated with ball python morphs is mind boggling.

Last edited:

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Nice! There's nothing like 80s hair metal. Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

You'll love ball pythons. They're a great pet snake. Will you go with a color morph? I've always been a fan of good old fashioned natural coloration, although the variety and price tag associated with ball python morphs is mind boggling.
LOL!! I read your edit and was like waaaiiitt a minuuute! I don't remember writing that...must have been really tired. /facepalm hahaha

Well, I really like Bumblebees but there is the factor of cost. haha I can't quite afford a bumblebee morph just yet. =P I think I am going for the simpler morphs; spider, pinstripe, and pastel. No I am not getting all three. Just one of them. Depends though, I was on BHB reptiles and they had some snakes for good prices (and crazy expensive prices) we'll see what I end up with. I may have to wait all the way till the end of June to get my Ball Python! That's when the next reptile super show is here. I think I am going to start buying stuff tomorrow, though.

My new T is being shipped tomorrow (gbb) so yay for that. Exciting things are heading my way. haha

TreeGuy

Arachnopeon
I am a big time snake guy, I keep over 15 different species, multiple specimens of each species.

But if I had to pick between a ball python (that sits in one spot and does nothing), and an active, alert, "always doing something" lizard like a blue tongue, the choice is easy to make. Pick the blue tongue.

Don't buy into the morph fad. If you love animals, love them for what they are. Not for in-bred health compromised fashion statements.

Cheers,

Justin - Breeder of wild-type, interesting colubrids that not everybody and their cousin has.