Very defensive Sav. Monitor

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found an ad for a Sav male on Craigslist. They described him as being "okay' with handling, but he'd rather not be touched some days and just needs to be given patience.

Well that was months ago, I figured out off the bat when they gave me a very thick pair of gloves and didn't touch him (they carried his tank out with him in it) something wasn't right.

He was raised in a 29g tank with a thin layer of sand in the bottom and no hides, and was supposed to be two when I got him. He's covered in scars and a couple look like old burns. He is not handleable. I worked with him as much as I can, using food to get him close to me, I never pushed him or made first contact, but he immediately goes for whatever part of me is within reach. He got my sleeve the other day and held on 5-6 minutes, just chomping and twisting. He is not a happy camper.

I built him a larger enclosure with climbing and hiding areas, basking spots and areas to dog and act like a lizard, he's more active and keeps himself preoccupied, but when I change him water or pick clean in there, he goes Cujo lizard on me, he's going to get me one day. He's about 18" right now.

I know his experiences with people have been bad and I'm not going to do anything with him if he never becomes sociable.. but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a monitor like him. The only other sav I've had was a dollbaby when I got her.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
I bought a Savannah monitor after seeing a lady hold one at a Home depot! She was litterally carrying it like a baby. I talked to her for sometime and she said her monitor was very docile (obviosly). I knew then I had to get one of these amazing reptiles! Anyways long story short, my Savannah monitor was very aggressive, and bit me several times. I raised it from a baby and always kept good care of him. I eventually had to find him a new home, because he bit my mother and drew blood (grew up with lots of reptiles and my mom always helped me with maintenance!) We put an add on craigslist and found him a new home. Amazing experience, but I can't say that I miss him.

~Dano

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I should clarify alittle... They have the same kind of personality.. alot can be really nice but can turn in an instance for no real reason like the rosehairs can.. Bipolar lol. Their scientific name even says it. The specific name exanthematicus is derived from two Greek words: exanthema meaning "eruption" and mata meaning "idle". They go from idle to crazy in a minute lol.

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two Savs. One I took the time to consistently handle and tame (dog tame) and the other one I didn't (the meany). You got a Sav that was neglected and apparently no forethought previous was given as to his living arrangement. Scars and burns are typically indicative of having come into contact with heat lamps. No effort was given as to preventing that close of a proximity to the lights or providing a more conducive or alternative heat source. It's a good thing you rescued him. Your Sav definitely is not accustomed to being handled regularly and has a definite "feed response" reaction evrytime you go into the enclosure. The way to overcome that is first make sure that you have your Sav is on a regular feed schedule so that more often than not he's not hungry enough to assume your hand or appendages are meals. Also refraining from feeding mice ( a suggestion given to me by a longtime monitor breeder and collector) and instead feed roaches (dubias), crickets, eggs, canned monitor chow, super worms and ground turkey. Invest in a decent handling glove (I bought mine from a local pet store (LPS) that specializes in reptiles. A few days a week, providing that you have the space, allow the monitor to roam outside of it's cage or if you're certain on a given day that the Sav is fairly full meal wise, make a point to caress it while it's in its enclosure when it's at rest basking for instance. it might take a few times of the Sav attacking the glove for it to realize that your gloved hand is not a meal.