Is this a krait?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
No spinal ridge scale. About 10 inches long.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like Bazzgazm hit the nail on the head. Snark, I'm jealous of the your herp sitings...

The Snark

Old Timer
Good call Bazgazm. Thanks! Seems these cuties come in yellow too. Had this one a few inches from my face getting out of the jeep the other night.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good call Bazgazm. Thanks! Seems these cuties come in yellow too. Had this one a few inches from my face getting out of the jeep the other night.
Are you 100% sure this is the same species? Do you have any other photos of the snake? Thanks for sharing.

The Snark

Old Timer
Are you 100% sure this is the same species? Do you have any other photos of the snake? Thanks for sharing.
No, I'm not sure. The patterning of this one looks a lot like the bridle snake. Notice how a few of the bands of the one on the bricks split towards the underside. That make me think they are all bridle snakes. ???

Here's a visitor that is a little more obvious.

And these guys are amazing!

I think this is one of those false vipers.

I've posted this one before I think. It's easy to ID the large snakes we have here: Over 6 or 7 feet, it's a king cobra or a python. (Or a grandaddy Kaouthai) This kings about 7 foot. Notice how light their coloration gets in the hot season.

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see what you mean with the similar pattern. I'm not familiar with that species and couldn't find a picture with yellow banding rather than white. I'll be honest, with the yellow pattern in the first picture, the first thing I thought was banded krait, but in all the krait pictures I could find, the black coloration on the head and first saddle were connected. In the second picture it's clear that it's not a krait.

The Snark

Old Timer
Just to add confusion, we have the Laotian Wolf snake, Lycodon Laoensis, which is almost identical to the Bridle snake. Some web sites even post pics of Black and white Bridle snakes, calling them Laotian wolf snakes. I think the yellow banded ones are the Laoensis.

The Krait, when mature is unlike any other snake in the world with it's triangular body and spinal ridge scale like a dinosaur, but the juveniles don't display those traits, that I have seen. Anyway, I just read the rule: even sized bands and spinal ridge=krait.

It's funny. I haven't seen a krait in almost a month then this morning out riding my bike I saw 2. And, of course, no camera. Pfftb!

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
this looks more like a burmese python
You're right, it does! Made me do a double take there. The head and coloration was different but I am seeing a close similarity now. Also, this would be a micro version as it was only about 2 feet long. Now I'm thinking I got my shots mixed up.

Last edited: