Tiger Salamander!

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
My cousin has a friend that is giving away her tiger salamander for free, and because she knows I collect exotic pets and whatnot, so my cuz is getting it for me! It comes with the tank and accessories and all, and hopefully they are all good and proper. I was wondering if anyone had tips and tricks for caring for him. I've done my research, but personal communication always helps.

By the way, I just like the word "salamander". Just rolls off the tongue so nicely, don't you think? :biggrin:

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I don't have any experience with them, but I think they're awesome. Good luck with it!

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have a 70 gallon terrarium in our kitchen with a tiger salamander and 2 firebelly toads (used to have alot of tree frogs too) and the tiger salamander just hangs out in the small pond we have in there most of the time. Being so, it definitely prefers the water (room temp) over being in the frog moss we have spread out everywhere, but I'd still have an area of land since they're not completely aquatic. Not sure about feeding amount since we throw in enough to last the week for 3 amphibians (since the tank is so big, the crickets usually hide and come out on their own time). Just my vague knowledge :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Just remember tiger salamander=Ambystomatid=mole salamander. These guys like to bury themselves in semi-moist soil, at least a few inches. Mine usually does it near his "pool". I find these to have the most (ugh) personality of the mole salamanders and will readily take to hand feeding, reducing the risk of impaction. Also, burying things in the soil helps hold the structure of the mole holes as does dumping water into the soil every so often.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

I've worked with them during my time at the Bronx Zoo and in the field and my own collection for many years. Please check my article on Spotted Salamander Care and Nat History:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...bystoma-maculatum-–-care-in-captivity-part-1/

Tiger salamanders can be cared for in much the same manner. please note cautions concerning temperature, and feel free to post there or here if you have any questions. Best, Frank