Yearling Cali King - hyper activity?

missbizy

Arachnopeon
I have had quite a bit of interactions with snakes before.... mostly boas and pythons, larger species... they were always very slow and easy to handle. Well, I had the recent opportunity to get my very own snake, a beautiful female coastal king snake. She's a year old, not quite two feet long.... very docile, but she is VERY active and almost impossible to keep a hold of while handling. Is this something that more handling will cure, or as she ages will she just mellow out... or do I just have to look forward to juggling a snake for the next ten years? Lol.

P1010004.jpg P1010002 (3).jpg

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I just want to say that's a nice snake you've got.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Most of your colubrids are never going to be as chill during handling as most of your boids. That's just the way they are. Most of them aren't "sit and hang out" snakes, but "Hey! Let's see what's over there!" snakes. This is especially true with kings, probably, because they're usually, "Hey! Let's see if there's anything to eat over there!" kinds of snakes. You will likely never be able to walk around the house with your king hanging around your neck. Most of them just don't have that kind of temperament.

You have a beauty, though!

missbizy

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for answering... Good to know. A little bummed, but still at least glad she's docile. especially considering she was a chance find as a "free snake" off of craigslist.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of your colubrids are never going to be as chill during handling as most of your boids. That's just the way they are. Most of them aren't "sit and hang out" snakes, but "Hey! Let's see what's over there!" snakes. This is especially true with kings, probably, because they're usually, "Hey! Let's see if there's anything to eat over there!" kinds of snakes. You will likely never be able to walk around the house with your king hanging around your neck. Most of them just don't have that kind of temperament.

You have a beauty, though!
Agree 100%. Colubrids are generally more active. What's to be bummed about? You have a beautiful, normal, seemingly healthy Cali king.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Kings and milks have been pretty squirmy in my experience, especially younger specimens. If you stick to a routine you may get the animal comfortable enough to not musk or nibble everytime you handle.