Betta enthusiasts, is this ad copy factual?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This was in a flyer for a chain pet store. While they may very well have "personalities", I wouldn't think picking up and stroking a betta would be very beneficial for the fish.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
betta do indeed have their own personalities. the stroking part would rub the slime coat off and be stressful.

and bettas don't live in mud puddles!!! they need a cycled filtered heated tank over 2 gallons!!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I figured such a practice would be pretty bad for their slime-coating. I think it's pretty bad form to suggest it in an ad to try to encourage sales. And I hate seeing them displayed for sale in those tiny bowls or worse, the small plastic cups.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
I don't believe it's so bad as long as your hand is wet, but I still wouldn't lift the fish out of water; even if they are small creatures, they aren't used to the pull of gravity on their bodies. I've seen enthusiasts claim that their fish enjoy physical contact but that was also on a discus forum and the claims weren't about bettas. I personally try to keep my hands off of any piscine wards in my care.

Crazydaisy

Arachnopeon
Maybe seeing as bettas actually breath through air instead of water they would be safe to take out of water to hold (hence the small cups they are sold in). Yes they still have a slime coating that can cause major stress if removed.
No one show this add to my son! The other day at the fish store he was asking which is the best to hold. Lol
He is why my T has a lock on her enclosure. He also believe he felt his skin opening up on his hands to allow the webs to come out :-0

Not a good add.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, not a good ad, i keep many,and they do have personalities,aweome fish to keep,and soooo many varieties out there.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The suggestion that bettas can be treated like little puppies is somewhat misleading. New owners may be frustrated when their little pet does not tame down as suggested. I've had bettas that could be fooled into swimming into your hand and then transferred to another container. I don't think they enjoyed this one bit. Also, it is quite easy to drop them. Bettas are better adapted than most other fish for surviving out of water(I've revived a few bettas that had to be peeled off the floor)...but I wouldn't reccomend people to play with them often.

However, bettas do just fine in small containers provided the water quality is kept up and temperatures high.