Frogs

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
What would be a great frog for a beginner? Some one who has very little experience with amphibians, if any at all. My mother showed interest in a bumblebee arrow frog when we were at the reptile store. She thought they were very pretty, as did I, but they are soooo tiny you'd have to feed them fruit flies wouldn't you? I don't like fruit flies at all. I could deal with crickets but I don't think fruit flies, again.

I want to get my mom a nice frog that's really cool, something she can easily take care of. I would help her out but I want her to learn too.

Any ideas of what frog would be the best bet?

Last edited:

Moonbug

Arachnosquire
My son has had a red eye tree frog and a tinctorius azureus (poison dart frogs). Out of the two I think the poison dart frog is the best, because of the color and it is out during the day. When it learns your feeding it, it is bold and comes right up to the front of the cage. There are so many types of frogs and I am sure everyone has their favorite.

Tinctorius azureus are the larger and bolder type of poison dart frogs. You could set up its cage so there is almost no maintenance. Youtube the vivariums and learn about that. Make sure you have springtails and isopods in your cage to help keep it clean. Setting up the cage takes a little bit of work, but it is very rewarding once it is complete and dialed in just right.

My son made his own with a waterfall feature and live plants. All he does now is clean the front of the cage, make sure the water level is just right and add the dusted fruit flies. His lights for the plants are on a timer, so the care is very simple.
You could Youtube the different types of frogs you are considering to see what they are like. Also I like Josh’s frogs. He is really great about answering your questions and they have a lot of information on his site.

I hope this helps you!

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello,

My compliments on your thoughtfulness in helping your mom; my own kept several pets and the experience enriched her life immensely. I wouldn't recommend any of the arrow frogs or red-eyed treefrogs for beginners. African Clawed Frogs are ideal - active, live into their 20's, feed from the hand, take dry food (pellets). However, they are illegal to own in CA. If youur mom is not in CA, please check this article http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...ding-african-clawed-frogs-the-two-best-diets/ and feel free to post further ques re care there or here. Tow other excellent choices would be Fire-Bellied Toads or White's Treefrogs. Fire-Bellies are attractive, active and do fine at room temperature; White's are hardy as well, need some supplementary heat; inactive except at feeding time. Please let me know if you need links to articles I've written on these species, Not sure if I can arrange fo0r email notices of tour responses here; please post a note on my blog as well, just so I know to check back, Best, Frank

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Hello,

My compliments on your thoughtfulness in helping your mom; my own kept several pets and the experience enriched her life immensely. I wouldn't recommend any of the arrow frogs or red-eyed treefrogs for beginners. African Clawed Frogs are ideal - active, live into their 20's, feed from the hand, take dry food (pellets). However, they are illegal to own in CA. If youur mom is not in CA, please check this article http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...ding-african-clawed-frogs-the-two-best-diets/ and feel free to post further ques re care there or here. Tow other excellent choices would be Fire-Bellied Toads or White's Treefrogs. Fire-Bellies are attractive, active and do fine at room temperature; White's are hardy as well, need some supplementary heat; inactive except at feeding time. Please let me know if you need links to articles I've written on these species, Not sure if I can arrange fo0r email notices of tour responses here; please post a note on my blog as well, just so I know to check back, Best, Frank
A couple years ago I actually looked into the African Clawed frog for myself only to find out they were illegal here (California likes to make every awesome animal illegal I guess!) So that is out of the question for both of us since I live with my mom lol. We are both in CA. I have been looking into the whites tree frog for her and they seem awesome. She likes them too. I showed her a couple pictures. I have not yet looked into the fire bellies though.
Thanks for the info! =)