Old Timer
Enchi

Super Pastel

Vanilla Mojave

2012 Holdbacks

Mojave

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
So lucky! Wow I want some of those babies! I have a question for you; What animal, if any, could live in a 5 gallon or so tank/bin for life? By animal, I mean something that would like being handled (ex: snakes typically curl up on you for heat, right?) and I wouldn't have to be overly cautious with (most tarantulas are a bit touchy). I would LOVE a snake, but I barely have any space (apartment with other people). Maybe I should say goodbye to my fish (5 gallon)... Oh, and hopefully something that doesn't smell too much.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like the super pastel, very nice.
Not alot could live a life suitably in a five gallon...

mikem

Arachnopeon
love the mojaves! if i ever get into ball pythons, a mojave will be my first choice.

as far as a five gallon.. maybe a pygmy mouse, but they don't like being held.

Nebulosa

Arachnopeon
Here's an answer for Robotponys: You might consider a eublepharid gecko (I really like fat-tails as the few I've had over the years were super sweet tempered and really chill, but banded geckos (genus Coleonyx) are even smaller) as they don't require much space and are very handleable and mellow. Snakes you might consider include really small species such as shovel-nosed snake (which eat insects and spiders), perhaps a smaller species of sand boa (the Saudi Arabian red sand boa (E. jayakari) is really small and super cool) - try to get a male as they are significantly smaller than females. I also love rough-scales, Kenyans, Russians, well, all of them actually, but some (especially females) will outgrow a 5-gal. A male rubber boa might do fine.

Last edited:

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A five gallon is a bit tricky. It is just the right size to eliminate many of the best "pet" species. If you can swap out the five and get a 10 gallon, your opportunities increase greatly. As mentioned above, sand boas stay quite small and can do well in a smaller cage. The species I can think of, and some mentioned earlier, will do okay in a 5 gallon (a 10 would be better) but the smaller ones aren't typically the best for handling.

J.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Here's an answer for Robotponys: You might consider a eublepharid gecko (I really like fat-tails as the few I've had over the years were super sweet tempered and really chill, but banded geckos (genus Coleonyx) are even smaller) as they don't require much space and are very handleable and mellow. Snakes you might consider include really small species such as shovel-nosed snake (which eat insects and spiders), perhaps a smaller species of sand boa (the Saudi Arabian red sand boa (E. jayakari) is really small and super cool) - try to get a male as they are significantly smaller than females. I also love rough-scales, Kenyans, Russians, well, all of them actually, but some (especially females) will outgrow a 5-gal. A male rubber boa might do fine.
You are a god, thanks so much! I've extensively researched most of those snakes, but I didn't realize there was a big size different in males and females. I thought it was more like a few inches! :p Rubber boas are IMPOSSIBLE to get (illegal to collect, no breeding has happened I think).

love the mojaves! if i ever get into ball pythons, a mojave will be my first choice.

as far as a five gallon.. maybe a pygmy mouse, but they don't like being held.
Never seen any for sale. :(

I like the super pastel, very nice.
Not alot could live a life suitably in a five gallon...
I know, it sucks. :'(

A five gallon is a bit tricky. It is just the right size to eliminate many of the best "pet" species. If you can swap out the five and get a 10 gallon, your opportunities increase greatly. As mentioned above, sand boas stay quite small and can do well in a smaller cage. The species I can think of, and some mentioned earlier, will do okay in a 5 gallon (a 10 would be better) but the smaller ones aren't typically the best for handling.

J.
One thing I don't understand is that the 10 gallon isn't really much bigger than the 5 gallon. 5 gallon dimensions: 16 x 8 x 10
10 gallon dimensions: Usually 20" long x 10" wide x 12" tall
Does a couple inches really make that much of a difference? With fish it does since it holds more water, but for terrestrial animals? Just asking.
I really have no space. My 5 gallon fish tank is already hanging off the edges and there isn't anywhere else to put tanks, unless I magically clean another shelf of books... I will probably have to get rid of my fish tank to even have space, or another tank (its 5 gallons).

I've narrowed it down to:
-pygmy mice trio
-banded gecko pair
-Saudi Arabian Sand boa male
-Anthill python (aka pygmy python) male or female
-rubber boas

These are just possibilities, I think the easiest to obtain and cheapest one is the banded gecko pair. :) It all comes down to what is at the Long Island expo. :p Thanks!

Last edited: